C H A P T E R 2 9_

(song above dedicated to Loki and Esther)

We take the vessel from S.H.I.E.L.D. and fly it over to the army base stationed at the coast; the same one that Loki and I had stolen a ship from... I hope they don't recognize us.

We watch the setting sun shine a silhouette of buildings before us as we head over the hillside.

The contents of this ship are as follows: myself, Loki, Steve, Clint, Natasha, and Wanda (with Clint as our pilot and Nat as our copilot). The rest are back at headquarters.

We're all in our gear now and honestly we look dope. But it's not time to goof off. Everything about this mission is resting on our shoulders. That makes us all silent as we fly. But I am in deep thought about this plan of ours, making sure there's not something I am forgetting and also looking for better options... I look up at these people, seeing the back of Steve as he watches out the windows and Wanda who sits across from us, the archer and spy who fly us across the city... and then the man at my right... these people who have become my family. I don't want to see any of them die. Part of me wants to just take them and live on Asgard, leaving all of this behind... but I couldn't do that. I won't leave the others on earth to die and not stop Nebula from bringing the stones to her homicidal, war monger of a father. If she succeeds then even Asgard would go up in flames.

I look to Loki at my right, watching his profile as he thinks to himself and doesn't look as gleeful as usual. I shut my eyes and silently pray that nothing happens to him. I can't imagine going without him at my side.

I come to no conclusions in my search for any better plans or ideas

I come to no conclusions in my search for any better plans or ideas... I just hope our current one works.

When we land all of us stand up and head out the hatch. We are at sort of the edge of the base and the colonel doesn't seem to recognize Loki and me... luckily.

Cap, whose face is now cleanly shaved like the soldier he is, walks forward to greet the Secretary of Defense in all his glory, standing with his security behind him and two army men there to protect him as well, heavily armed.

When Rogers is standing before him he raises his right hand to his forehead and gives a respectful salute exactly the way a soldier would.

"At ease," he says with a smirk. Then puts out his hand which he shakes gladly. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Captain Rogers," he says.

"The honor is mine, sir," Steve replies with the truth of it in his voice.