Chapter Twenty-Three

Cain stared at his mate from across the room. At the moment, she was distant. Ever since they found her in her form standing over the dead luna, she'd been distant.

It was like she expected the twins to instantly hate her because she killed someone. It wasn't her fault, they knew that but did she know that?

"It wasn't your fault." His voice echoed across the room.

Freya flinched and cowered into the corner she was in. But it was her fault. She lost all control and killed her. What kind of person does that? A regular one, you could not control your anger.That is normal. A voice commented in the back of her mind.

Recently, that voice kept responding to her thoughts and it annoyed her but it calmed her. It helped her to know that she wasn't alone.

"Freya." Cain tried again.

She shook her head and covered her face. "Go away." She whispered.

"Never. You are my mate and I will not leave you in your time of need. If Cole was here too, he'd say the exact same thing."

"Where is he?"

"Attending pack business. He's letting our beta know that we'll be here longer then intended."

Nodding, she sank her head lower between her legs. Cain sighed. He was never the soft, touchy one. He could not comfort anyone, not even a small animal. Times like these Cole came in handy. But his brother was not there at the moment so he would have to give it his best. It was for his mates safety.

His hand rolled over her back in soothing circles. Freya sniffed and leaned back. He wrapped his arms around her small body and smelled her hair. Cain kissed the top of her head and tightened his hold on her. Her small body shook with tears and left over anger.

"Its okay baby girl. Were always going to be here, your not alone." he whispered.

Freya couldn't believe that the strong, hardheaded Cain was being soft. It made her heart melt. Cole was the type to be soft and flirty. It was refreshing to see a different side of Cain. She snuggled into his chest and buried her head in his shirt.

His scent washed over her and it calmed her tears of anger. "I-I killed her, Cain. How can you act so casually and wrap your arms around me? I'm a killer."

Cain shook his head. "Your not a killer. Your the most sweetest, annoying, beautiful woman I've ever met. nothing is boring with you. That woman tried to hurt what was yours and you acted like a normal she-wolf would. Its normal."

Refusing to argue any longer, Cain titled her head upwards and kissed her. The kiss was long and passionate. It held all the love he had for her. Suddenly the door opened, breaking them apart. Cain growled but stopped when it was her brother.

"Freya." Cole started breathlessly but stopped when he noticed her tears.

Tears came to his own eyes as he grabbed her from his brothers arms. He held her tight as tears fell. "Your brother is missing."

For a second she froze. Everything was silent. The pack refused to make a noise as Cole told the news. Even the children were quiet. Without saying a word Freya stood up. She walked to her little brothers room and sat on his bed. It was still warm.

Tears wouldn't come to her eyes. She was done crying. She was done letting this person control what she does. Freya felt the need to scream but held it in. She couldn't find her brother if she was hysterical. First her father now her little brother. This bitch is going to die.