A Suspicious, Little Yelp

I arrived at the library two minutes before class.

I finally spotted Margaret after going through shelves and shelves of books.

"Hi, Margaret!" I whispered, approaching her table. "Let's go to class before Mr. Mendoza finds out we're late."

"Just a second..." she replied, not even looking up from her notebook. "And... done! Okay, let's go!"

"Right!"

As we were going to the exit, Margaret let out a little yelp.

The library broke out into a wave of "shhs".

"What's wrong, Marg?"

"I-it's nothing!" She whispered, grasping on her legs. "I-I'm perfectly f-fine."

We then entered the classroom on time. As we sat down, Mr. Mendoza walked through the door.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Mendoza!" We chanted in unison.

"Good afternoon!" He said. "Open your History books to Chapter 4. Here we'll learn Spanish Colonization."

Several of my classmates' eyes widened.

While some groaned under their breath.

In this school, disrespecting a teacher is like, the crime of the century

I was really concerned.

No, no, not about me falling asleep in class.

About Margaret... again.

She's had these... um... cramps or something since the 4th grade.

A hand suddenly shot into the air.

"Yes, Margaret?"

"M-Mr. Mendoza..." she started, holding unto her thigh. "M-may I be e-excused?"

"I see that you're in pain." He noticed. "Ok, sure."

"Thank you po." (Po is a form of respect).

As she slowly walked to the door, he spoke up.

"Oh! Sorry, I almost forgot! Bring out your assignments." He leaned over to Margaret. "That means you too!"

"Ok." She slowly walked to het desk, when her leg bent and she collapsed in pain.

We all dove to the ground, helping her up.

We sent her straight to the nurse's clinic. Inside sat two beds at each side, a large, square window at the center, some chairs and seats with cushions for guests and medical instruments on every table and shelf, and posters occupying every space on the walls.

The nurse approached us and was in dismay when she saw Margaret practically crying. She lay her down and started examining her leg from the laps to the thighs to the toes.

"It's nothing to worry about at all!" The nurse finally announced. "She just has cramps. It just needs stretching and massaging. Here." She started to massage her thighs gently.

"Wow. That feels good. Thanks."

"No problem. You all should be going to class."

"Yes, Ms. Rosario!" We chanted simultaneously.

As I was leaving the room with Margaret by my side, Ms. Rosario called for me.

"You seem to be one of her friends... is that right?"

"Yeah, we are really close."

"I just wanted to tell you that this was her 32nd visit to the clinic since 4th grade."

"What?!"

"I'll show you her files." She got out a very thick envelope and handed it to me. I examined them.

"Leg cramps... leg cramps..." I muttered reading one file after another.

That's strange. Everything seems to be occuring in the 4th grade.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

I wish I knew what was happening.

I felt I was a detective solving a difficult case.

A knot started to form in my stomach.

It's sort of stressful  for a best friend to not know the issues another best friend has. Then she becomes a bystander.

Too much Physical Ed, perchance? Or she became some sort of secret athlete?

I would have aches all over my body and cram homework with Elliot around to bug me.

Wait...

No... it coudn't be...

Is Margaret having... a sibbling?!

That's great! Why wouldn't she tell me!

"Excuse me, Ms. Gonzales!"

"Huh? What?" How embarrasing!

"You can leave the clinic now"

"Oh! Yes, of course! I will, thank you po!" (A respectful, Filipino phrase)

"You're welcome"