Deprived Friendship

At class, I tapped my foot angrily.

Josh had my hooks up... for a Science project?! Why I'd never! Why can't he be more romantic?

"Ellie? Ellie! Ellie?!"

"Huh? Wha... sea cucumbers!" I blabbered.

The whole class laughed. I felt my face turning hot.

How humiliating! Why does everyone disrupt my thoughts?!

"Pay attention please, Ms. Gonzales!"

"Yes, Ms. Agonzillo!" She then carried on with her lecture.

I noticed Margaret writing down excessive pages of notes. Usually only Katie is interested enough to copy notes.

Well, if she really wants her hand swollen. I thought.

At the lunch tab-- I mean the Swifty Table, as they refer it to, we discussed some plans for the Six Swifties.

"After our graduation, perhaps we can have a party."
Maria said. "A pool party, maybe? No! In an amusement park! NO! In a hot air balloon!"

"Maria you know that we're not all rich, right?" Katie asked, smiling. "But we can each have a different item to bring. For instance, who'll bring the pizza!"

The word "pizza" made my stomach rumble. That's when I realized, I was just raising my fork in front of me, dazed off listening to the plans.

I took a chicken nugget and chewed on it thoughtfully. I observed Margaret who chewed silently.

This is the first time she was silent at lunch. Is she sick? She seems down-at-the-dumps. Should I ask her what's wrong? *gasp* she's staring at me! What should I do? Uh... uh... play dead... uh... no... do a dance? Ugh, I don't know!

"What're you looking at? You're starting to creep me out."

"Oh, sorry, M-Margaret. A-a-anyway, you l-looked d-d-depressed and..." I sighed. This was not turning out good.

"So what if I look sad?" She snapped back.

"Woah, sorry, Margi. I just noticed--"

"Noticed?! You are noticing enough!" All ten eyes turned to her, wide open. "Why are you on to me? What do you want from me?!"

"Don't take it that way, BF."

"And why do you ask all these questions and go blank when I talk to you?! Are you like some spy?! Ugh!" She stormed out of the cafeteria. I ran after her.

"Wait, Margi! Please! I'm sorry! I just thought--"

"Thought what?" She briskly turned around to face me. "And that ladybug? It said this friendship is never!" She went towards me to whisper, "never again!"

I watched her as she marched down the hall. As soon as she disappeared around the corner, my friends ran out.

"What was all that about?" Katie asked.

Tears formed in my eyes as I walked towards class with a deprived friendship.