Chapter Thirty-Seven

This is a short update but I hope you guys still think it's good. This story is coming to an end now. We still have a couple more chapters but yeah, just to warn you. Thank you all once again for reading my story; especially those of you who have been there from the beginning. Your support (the reads, the votes, the comments, the messages and the fans) means a huge lot. Welcome to all my new fans and readers as well! 

CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

Within half an hour, Maxine and I drove up to Mayfield Hospital. The entire ride to the hospital, Maxine had been silent; looking out of the window and choosing to look at the cars and the road instead of talking or looking at me. I couldn’t blame her really. In situations like this, anything could be running through a person’s mind, especially when the patient concerned was the father or a person. The worst part was I didn’t know what to say to her to let her know that it would be alright simply because I wasn’t sure everything was going to be alright. In movies when someone was lying sick in the hospital or something similar to that situation, and the family or friends of the patient were around, I hated it when other people said to them that everything would be alright. I didn’t believe in promising things that I wasn’t at least 90% sure of.

As soon as the engine stopped, Maxine was ready to fly out of the car and run towards the hospital. But before she could even think about it, I grabbed and hand.

‘Wait a moment babe.’ I said calmly.

‘John! My dad is lying sick in the hospital. This  is NOT the time for a talk. We need to get in there NOW!’ she said slowly.

I could feel the tension coming off her in waves. Any other normal person would have been scared of her in a mood such as this but thank goodness I was her boyfriend and could face her.

‘Look at me and listen to me.’

‘John, please can we go?’ she said still  refusing to look me in the eye.

I stared at her messy up do which she had packed in her haste to leave the house when she received the call not too long ago about her dad.

‘Maxine, the quicker you obey me, the quicker we can get out of this car.’

Maxine eventually gave in and turned to me, her gaze sharp and slightly angry which I could definitely understand.

‘Whatever news we get, whatever happens, just know that I am here for you ok? I know that at some point during this whole ordeal, you’re going to try and push me away at least once or twice. Or you’re going to try and break up with me. Know this now, that I won’t allow it. We’ll deal with whatever we have to deal with TOGETHER.’ I told her.

Her body relaxed and her gaze went from sharp to soft at my words and she smiled a little.

‘Thank you for saying that. It means a lot. And yes you know me well, I probably will do those things. But I’m glad you won’t let me. Now please can we go in?’

I released her hand, locked the car and hand in hand we ran together into the hospital.

Everything from there was a blur.

The receptionist was able to inform us that Maxine’s dad was in the surgery. The doctor had decided to have a surgery on his heart to restore his blood flow to the heart. After that, providing that the surgery was successful, we would have to wait 24 hours to see how successful the surgery would be for Maxine’s dad. The wait was naturally hours long, and when the doctor finally came out, we were all nervous.

‘Mrs Rivers’ the doctor said acknowledging Maxine’s mother, ‘I’m happy to say that the surgery for your husband was very successful. Now, we have to wait for the next twenty four hours to see whether or not, his body has responded well to the surgery. After that, provided that his body is responding well to the surgery, we would like to keep him in the hospital for a couple of days, depending on how fast he heals and seems to be coping. We will talk about the future from then onwards. But for now, you can relax, he’s made it out of surgery alive and kicking.’

Mrs Rivers heaved a huge sigh of relief and nearly hugged the doctor.

Maxine collapsed into my arms at the doctors words and sighed.

‘Thank goodness for good news.’ She whispered into my chest.

I silently thanked God that I hadn’t had to experience tears and smiled at the other members of the family that had been waiting around for the doctor to come out with some news. Clearly, they were relieved.

It was terribly selfish of me but I also thanked God, because Maxine’s dad dying would have put a massive damper on my proposal and would have crushed Maxine entirely. I couldn’t handle seeing her upset and sad talk less of heartbroken and in pain over her father’s death.

Now all I had to hope and pray for was for her father’s smooth recovery as well as a smooth proposal.

One last thing I had to make sure of: to get her mother and her father’s permission to marry her.

So I’m old fashioned, sue me.