Chapter Ten!

Hey guys. Here's Chapter Number Ten. I might not be able to upload for a week or so. We'll see how it goes. Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy this chapter. This is especially to all those who were hating on John due to the last chapter. Don't forget to vote and comment. Song on the side (no relevance to the story at all): About a Girl by Sugababes. When it first came out, it got so stuck in my head. 

HakunaMatata00 x

CHAPTER 10

JOHN’S POV

‘What was that about?’ Penelope smiled cheekily at me.

I sighed in frustration. Even if I had wanted to, I wouldn’t know how to answer the question Penelope had just thrown at me. And the reason why I wouldn’t be able to answer the question was because I didn’t understand what was going on with Maxine. One minute she was pushing me away, telling me she didn’t want to be with me or take what we had further, next minute she’s escaping my office at the sight of a woman sitting on my lap. Her actions were confusing me. Why were women like this? Complicated.

‘Well?’ Penelope smiled after she realized that I wasn’t planning on answering.

I simply shrugged my shoulders at her to indicate that even I didn’t understand what was going on.

‘You’ve been holding out on me. Just because I went away on honeymoon, doesn’t mean that I don’t deserve to know what has been going on.’

Penelope had gotten married to one of my close friends last month. Their love story was one of the sweetest reality love stories that I had heard. Penelope and I had been friends since we were 16 years old. Everyone had expected us to fall in love and get married ten years later, but Penny and I didn’t see each other in that way. Of course we did try and get involved romantically, but then it turned out that we worked better as friends rather than a couple, so we decided to break up. We remained best friends for a very long time. While we were still in school at the age of 16, Penny had been one of the popular girls that every guy drooled over privately. Simon had been one of those guys. I hadn’t known him then because to be honest, he was quite a geek who hid behind geeky clubs and hung out with the geeky people. But over the years, he grew up. And by the end of university, we had become best friends. During our time at university, Penny had fawned over him while he secretly fawned over still. The funny thing was that both of them thought that the other was out of the their league and so decided not to pounce on their feelings. And because of the fact that I never ever interfered into other people’s love lives, I left them to figure out their feelings for each other. It took years of courage but eventually, after a drunk game of spin the bottle, they realized that maybe they weren’t so out of each others’ league and that’s how they got married in the end.

‘Oh yeah, how was the honeymoon?’ I asked to try and distract her from the topic of Maxine.

‘It was so amazing. Simon certainly knows how to do things.’ She smiled with a faraway look in her eye.

‘I gave him a few tips so obviously he learnt some moves from me.’

Penny laughed and then proceeded to smack my head.

‘Now, about that gorgeous woman who walked in and back out again. Who is she?’

‘Maxine Rivers.’ I stated matter of fact.

‘What is she to you?’

‘My colleague.’

‘Her words or yours?’ Penny questioned.

‘The dictionary’s words.’ I smiled.

‘You can be so irritating. What happened between you guys?’

‘I kissed her and then told her I wanted to take things further but she said no.’

Penny raised both her eyebrows very high in surprise.

‘The girl said what?’

‘She said no.’ I stated.

‘Oh no. Don’t tell me she has that stupid same rule as you.’ Penny sighed.

‘For your information, that rule comes very much in handy. Protected me from many crazy women in the places I’ve worked ok? Work relationships can get extremely complicated. And that’s just something I don’t want in my life.’

‘So what makes Maxine Rivers different then?’ She questioned, standing up and leaning against my desk to face me fully.

‘She’s just different. Penny, I’ve never met anyone like her. She’s just so different.’

Penny smiled. A slow satisfactory smile.

‘You really like her don’t you?’

I nodded slowly.

‘Maybe you’re going to have to fight this the hard way. Bombard her with flowers, chocolate, wine, cards and all that to get her to go on a date with you.’

‘Isn’t that just a tiny bit cheesy. I thought that was a movie thing. I didn’t think people actually did those in real life.’

‘You obviously need to go and read a book on romance. You’re really know nothing about it.’

I frowned.

‘I do know romance. When I was with Rachel, I planned that home dinner for her and we watched chick flicks all night.’ I protested.

‘You ordered pizza with some fizzy drinks and rented loads of DVDs from blockbuster.’ Penny said exasperatedly.

‘Well when you say it like that, it doesn’t sound that romantic.’

‘Because it wasn’t! John, I love you and everything, but you have seriously got to learn how to be romantic or else a woman will find it frustrating to be with you.’

‘I have had plenty of women Penny. And all of them clearly enjoyed their time with me. I could get that in writing if I wanted.’

‘Seriously? You are such a guy. Just give the girl loads of stuff and she’ll eventually listen to what you have to say and probably go on a date with you.’

I smiled and saluted her. Penny was actually right. I didn’t know a thing about romance. I just planned things in the way I thought I or other people would like them best. I didn’t actually think about what emotive feelings my actions would evoke. But I guess there was a first time for everything. And right now, I had to get Maxine to go on a date with me by being romantic. She would be mine because right now I couldn’t stand not being with her.

‘By the look of things, I would say she really likes you too.’ Penny smiled knowingly.

‘Why? What makes you say that?’

‘The way she sauntered in here with a fresh coat of lipgloss on her lips, and the shock and slight hatred when she saw me on your lap. She was jealous.’

A smiled instantly took place on my lips. The thought of Maxine being jealous made me happy because surely that was a sign that saw something she liked in me and didn’t like the idea of another girl being with me. Maxine had feelings for me!