Chapter Fourteen :)

CHAPTER 14

MAXINE’S POV

I cried for what seemed like ages. Then after a while, I began to get annoyed with myself. I didn’t like the way I was beginning to act. I wasn’t a drama queen. I didn’t do dramatic. If I wanted John, then I would let him know and make sure that we embarked on a relationship.

‘Crying will fix absolutely nothing Maxine Rivers. Absolutely nothing.’

‘Wow, what happened to you?’ Louise asked worriedly.

I wiped my face and frowned. I most likely looked an absolute mess at this point. I pulled out my drawer and whipped out some wipes to clear my face simultaneously trying to avoid answering Louise’s question. I didn’t feel like admitting I was hugely wrong. I didn’t feel like retelling the story of what had just occurred.

‘Maxine?’

I dumped the wipes in my dustbin and looked up at her.

‘Do I look ok now?’ I asked her as if she hadn’t walked in on me shedding the last of my tears.

‘You won’t in a minute if you don’t tell me why you were crying when I walked in.’ She threatened.

‘Ouch. Girl, you need to calm down.’ I smiled fakely at her.

‘I will show you the opposite of calm if you don’t start opening your mouth to tell me what in the name of monkeys happened to you.’

I sighed feeling a little defeated.

I pulled out a mirror from my bag to inspect my face. My eyes were red but my face looked less puffy. I pulled out some lipgloss to liven my face; once again avoiding Louise. What I was doing was dangerous. Louise sincerely hated being ignored. It made anger flare up inside of her. And when Louise is angry, she’s REALLY angry.

‘Maxine, I love you. And because I love you, I will give you one more chance to tell you what is going on before all hell breaks loose in here.’ She slowly said.

I put my lipgloss away. I put the mirror away. I tucked my bag into my bigger drawer, locked it and then turned to her.

‘John happened.’

‘Oh goodness. What’s happened now?’ she questioned seating herself as if waiting for a massive story to take place.

‘He’s angry at me Louise. He’s really angry. I didn’t think what I was doing would affect him this much. I didn’t know he liked me or wanted me this much.’ I sighed staring at the wall.

‘What happened? What did he say?’

‘He asked me why I was treating him like he was the plague. Like a disease. I was only trying to give myself some space so that I didn’t make it anymore awkward between the both of us. But I guess he didn’t see it that way.’ I said shaking my head.

‘Did he tell you he has it bad for you?’ Louise asked.

I smiled sadly and nodded.

‘He woke up late this morning. He said if he hadn’t woke up late, there would have been a vase of flowers sitting on my desk right now.’

‘Wow.’

I nodded slowly.

‘You’re right. He really does have it bad for you. What are you going to do Maxine? You can’t carry on ignoring him.’

‘I just. I’m scared Loo.’

‘Of what?’ she asked confusedly.

‘Of what could happen if things don’t go right. It would affect every area of my life. If John didn’t wasn’t my boss, then a break-up would only affect my personal life. But he is my boss! He affects my work life and my personal life. I like the way my life is right now. I don’t want it messed up.’

‘Listen to me Max. You need to learn to take risks. Ok? You keep talking about a break-up, but what if John is the one for you. Huh? What about that? What if he’s the one that you end up falling massively in love with? Whose baby you want to carry? Who you want to grow old with? What if he’s the one to make you feel all those things that you thought were buried? You can’t pretend to know the future. You have to embrace the present Max. Embrace it. If you don’t act on your feelings, you know as well as I do that you’ll be miserable. Just because it didn’t work for someone else doesn’t mean it won’t work for you. You said it yourself, John has it bad for you. And by the looks of it, you have it bad for John. So do me a favour, stop limiting yourself and your life. Take a risk. You never know, it could end up being the best rule you’ve ever broken.’

I remained silent for about two minutes.

During this time, Louise kissed my cheek and left my office.

For a half an hour, I sat down on my chair, staring at the wall thinking.

I had two choices: Take the risk? Or play safe?

When I finally made the decision and was sure it was the right one, I got up. I prayed I was about to do the right thing. I couldn’t afford mistakes. I know I’m human but mistakes like this were costly, and they affected your entire life.

I knocked on the dark door and waited for the command.

‘Come in.’

I opened the door, walked in, closed it and then turned to face him.

‘We need to talk.’ I said looking him straight in the eye.

...............................................................................................................................................................

Soooo what do you guys think? 

Please vote and comment. I would love to hear what you guys are thinking so far. I love reading the comments that you guys write.

Hope everyone is preparing for an exciting christmas :)

HakunaMatata00 x