Chapter Thirty

Here's Another Chapter for you guys. Sorry it's late. My Explanation: School. Anyhoo, enjoy :D

CHAPTER THIRTY

JOHNATHAN’S POV

I had been watching Maxine since we had left my mum’s house and I couldn’t help but notice that whenever I snuck a glance at her, there was a small smile on her face. There were only two explanations that I could think of to explain this smile. Either she just happened to be smiling whenever I looked at her because she knew that I was watching her, or she had been smiling ever since we had left my mum’s house. Either way, I wanted to know what was putting that smile on her face? Had my mother told her something beyond embarrassing about me? Had she said something totally inappropriate? What had happened? Thinking about it was frustrating the hell out of me because her smile refused to diminish. So I finally decided to ask her.

‘You’ve had that little smile on your face ever since we left my mum’s house. What’s up with you?’

‘Nothing.’

‘Stop lying to me. Come on, just tell me what she said.’

‘Honestly, it’s nothing. Don’t worry about it.’ she answered.

‘But how can I not worry about it. You’ve been smiling for ages, I can’t not be inquisitive about it.’  

‘Well you’re going to have rein in your curiosity aren’t you?’ she turned to me with a raised eyebrow.

‘This is really unfair you know. I should get to know what she said; especially if it’s about me.’ I sulked.

‘No you don’t. Besides, life is unfair. Deal with it.’

I sighed. She wasn’t going to budge. I could feel her digging her heels into the ground metaphorically. She would refuse to tell me anything unless it was of her own accord. Damn it!

‘Oh and for the record, you are such a mummy’s boy. There’s absolutely no argument about it.’

‘What? I’m really not. I’m just close to her.’

Maxine scoffed and turned her whole body towards me. ‘

John, you were practically scared of her knowing that we work on the same floor talk less of the fact that you are my boss. It even sounded like you were practically begging for her to approve of me. If that doesn’t make you a mummy’s boy, I don’t know what will.’

‘I just wanted her to love you as much as I do.’

There was a long silence and I turned to Maxine confused as to why there was such a long silence.

‘Yoo hoo, are you alright there?’  I asked her worriedly.

‘You were attacking me for being a mummy’s boy how many minutes ago and now you’ve gone totally silent.’

‘Um, sorry about that. Guess I lost track of the conversation.’

‘That’s alright. Tonight must have tired you out.’ I said stroking her legs.

‘Since I’ve met your mum, I think it’s time you meet my family too.’

‘Oh no.’ I shook my head.

‘It’s different when a guy meets the girl’s family. It’s a whole different situation.

‘Why do you say that?’ she questioned.

‘Because if you’re a daddy’s girl, which you probably are, he’ll crucify me with his eyes and probably bury too.’

Maxine’s laughter rung out through the car at my comment.

‘You make my dad sound like a monster.’

‘He’s not that bad.’

I parked in front of her apartment and turned to her.

‘Look, we’re taking a whole new step now and I just want to introduce you to the people that I love.’

At the mention of the word love, her voice shook a little which I thought was rather odd since she hadn’t shown any sides of being cold.

‘What if your dad hates me?’

Maxine coughed nervously.

‘There’s a slight chance that he might.’

‘Why am I suddenly even more scared than I was before?’

‘My dad hates the idea of mixing business with pleasure. He kind of had a bad experience with dating a colleague ages ago and has always instilled into my siblings and I that we shouldn’t ever get involbed with someone that we work it.’ Maxine explained.

‘And you’ve committed the biggest mistake by being with your boss.’

‘In his eyes, yes.’

I rubbed my eyes and looked out of the window.

‘So you think he’ll reject me then?’

‘I have no idea. For once, I can honestly say I have no idea. He may see how much I enjoy being with you and overlook it because he cares more about my happiness than his rules. On the other hand, he might think that you’ll hurt me in the long run and try and save me from that hurt. I honestly have no clue.’

I sighed heavily.

‘But you do know that I would never intentionally hurt you right? Let’s just get that clear right now.’

Maxine smiled and nodded.

‘I would castrate you if you did.’

I burst into laughter.

‘Come on, let me walk you to your door.’ I said once I had calmed down.

..................................................................................................................................................................

MAXINE’S POV

Once I was in bed, I finally let myself think about the moment that had occurred in the car. That awkward awkward awkward moment. John hadn’t even realised that he had indirectly confessed his love to me. He had indirectly told me that he loved me. and I, stupid old me, had gone quiet. I went totally quiet. I didn’t consider asking him to repeat what he said. I didn’t consider asking him to explain what he meant by that statement; explicitly. I didn’t consider asking him anything. Why hadn’t I done that? What was wrong with me? But the most important question of all was: Did I love him?