Chapter Twenty-Seven :)

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

John’s POV

I was having one of the busiest mornings ever. In my head right now I was just thanking God for the fact that I had drunk coffee this morning because if not, there is no way that I could possibly be functioning. Maxine and I had stayed on the phone last night talking for hours despite the fact that both of us had work that morning. What were we talking about you ask? Everything and anything. I smiled at the memory of the things that we had talked about. Childhood memories, first kisses, the future, cooking techniques. At one point, I had to debate with her about what type of material was best as underwear. Our conversation flowed easily and weirdly like that. These past few months of being with her were turning out to be pure heaven and I was just so glad to have her in my life. She was the first person that came into my mind every morning and the last thing I thought about at night. Whenever something funny or great happened to me, she was the first person I wished to tell. I was crazy about her. Her smile made me smile. Her laugh made me insides melt. Her body was just perfect and could make a monk think some naughty thoughts. Her personality was off the chain. Even the difficult parts, such as her stubbornness always made her look sexy and even made her work better at her job. She was just too amazing. And there was just no way that I was letting her go.

I jumped slightly when the phone rang and sighed when I realized that it was my mum calling. Sighing, I picked it up.

‘Jonathan?’

‘Yes mum. It’s me.’

‘My goodness, I’m finally hearing your voice. What a miracle.’

‘Mum stop being overdramatic.’

‘Oh I’m not. Hearing your voice is such a rarity these days. You’re too busy to call your old mother. That’s always your excuse.’

‘You make it sound so harsh.’

‘Whatever. I haven’t come to argue about my position in your life. I want to meet that girl that you’ve been hiding away from me.’

NO!

My mum was famous for grilling and frying all my friends and girlfriends. Every time I had brought a girl home, she had asked them all sorts of questions. Their occupation, their history, their family history, their income, their living area, their skills, their hobbies. The list was simply endless. A lot of my friends and girlfriends referred to her as a policewoman because whenever she finished her questioning, they always felt like they had been interrogated for manslaughter or some of sort of drastic crime like that.

‘Mum, now is not the best time.’ I said hoping that she’d leave it.

‘She’s really busy at the moment. Her workload is humongous.’

‘All the more reason why you should bring her down. She needs a much-needed break from work. I’ll make a lovely dinner for all three of us. Just the three of us and we can all get to know each other.’

I could almost hear her smile down the phone. My mum was predictable in that manner. I also knew that by her smiling, she had already won.

‘So, I’ll see you tonight then at seven?’

‘Yes mum. See you then.’

There was no reply as she dropped the phone.

How did she manage to do that? Rope me into things so fast and in the end justify all her actions. It was amazing. But I was worried about one thing; would I be taking things too fast by inviting Max to meet my mum. Was it too soon? We’d been together for a couple of months now and although everything had been going smoothly since we got back together, I didn’t want to jeopardize what we had. Something totally magnificent.

I sighed in defeat, locked my computer and made my way over to Maxine’s office.

I knocked on the door, hoping so hard to myself that I wasn’t disturbing a meeting between her and anyone. I probably should have called her first to check.

‘Come in.’ she called.

I opened the door and walked in to find her seating at her desk using the computer. As usual, she looked flawless. Her hair was in a half ponytail whilst the rest of her dark hair was left down. Her body was contained in her black skirt matched with a stripped fitted shirt that made her look like one of those sexy secretaries. Although her income was greater than theirs and her job was more superior. All that made her even sexier.

‘Hey baby’ she smiled at me.

I don’t know why but my heart sped up a little at the way she smiled and a thought instantly popped into my head: I wanted to see that smile every day for the rest of my life.

‘Hey. Are you okay?’ I asked her as I closed the door.

‘Yes. Hope you managed to get some sleep.’ She smiled again sneaking a glance at my face whilst her fingers continued to type at her keyboard.

‘I got the best that I could.’ I smiled back.

‘We really have to stop having late night conversations when we both know that work is hours away’.

‘We keep saying we’ll stop but we never do.’

She laughed at that. Within seconds she was in front of me.

I snaked my hands around her and pulled her close to me as I brought my lips down to hers. Day by day my resolve to try and take this relationship as slow as possible was slowly dying. We hadn’t slept together yet and to say it was killing me would have been the greatest understatement of the year. It was slaughtering me. I wanted to bed this woman so badly it was unreal. To kiss her and hold her and touch her body without going further was one of the hardest things that I had ever done in my life. It was so Frickin’ hard!.

‘Are you okay?’ she asked as she ran her hands through my hair making my body react slightly.

‘Stop that. I have something serious to tell you.’

‘But you know how much I love doing that. It’s not my fault you have amazing hair.’

‘You’re asking for trouble Max. I’m warning you.’

She relinquished her hands and put them around my neck instead.

‘What’s up killjoy?’ she questioned.

I laughed at her childishness and got ready to drop the bomb.

‘My mum wants to meet you tonight at 7pm.’

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts and comments?

Did you enjoy this chapter?

What do you think is going to happen?

Please vote too.

Thanks for your support and for reading this story :D xx