Chapter Twenty-Six

Hey guys :D Very sorry for the long wait. As some of you know, I have exams coming up so writing is  kind of down on my list of things to do. If you find me online, it's because I'm avoiding revision (bad I know). Anyhoo, I hope you enjoy this chapter. Please vote vote vote and comment :D Thank you xxx

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

‘I....’

‘Maxine, spit it out. You’re not usually this speechless.’

‘I know. I just-‘

The shrill of the phone made me jump slightly and I frowned at it as it continued to ring.

‘I think I better get this seeing as I ignored the last call.’

I nodded. I understood.

I walked over to the lunch that he had set out for both of us and started eating without him. I could tell that the call was a business one by the way that he had turned around and had to face his computer to access some files. I watched him as he continued to work. His forehead had a little crease in the middle to show that he was concentrating hard at something and I smiled at his dedication to his work. John was definitely hard working. And smart. And good looking. And funny. And witty. And fun to be around. As well as a good conservationist. I mentally continued to run a list of things in my head of John’s good qualities. He really was an amazing guy. A very amazing guy. Guys like this didn’t come along often. What if John was the one and here I was, passing judgement like I was God.

I couldn’t do that. In fact, I had no right to do that.

I finished my lunch without John. Whoever he was talking to had managed to capture of all his lunchtime. So when I finished my lunch, I packed up my rubbish, put them in his bin and started walking over to the door hoping that he would be too engrossed in his work to notice that I was leaving. I successfully reached the door until he said:

‘Sorry, hold on just a minute. Thanks. Maxine?’

Dang it I mentally said. I was hoping not to disturb him and possibly bide myself more time to think.

‘I’m so so so so so sorry about that. I wasn’t expecting this call to happen till later on in the day. They were a bit early. Maybe you would like to do something after work?’ he asked with a tinge of hope in his voice.

‘Finish your work before you start thinking about your love life.’

‘Does that mean you’re back in it?’ he asked, the beginnings of a smile spreading through his face.

‘Maybe.’ I winked before exiting his face and going straight for mine.

I was scared that playing with John like that by winking at him and saying what I did, maybe would get his hopes up when in fact I hadn’t totally made up my own mind about our relationship.

You’re well on your way to saying yes though, a part of me said.

For hours I worked and worked making sure that every single thing that I hadn’t caught up on or that I had let slide was up to date and amazingly set. I buried myself in so much work that when I looked up next, it was already getting pretty dark. I sighed and rubbed my temples. At least I had completed a huge amount today. That was a massive benefit right there.

As I was clearing up and ensuring that my desk was tidy, there was a knock at my door and in popped the head of Jonathan Grays.

‘Hello Mr.Grays.’ I smiled at him.

‘It’s John to you.’ He winked making me blush.

‘Can I help you?’ I asked politely.

‘Yes. I was wondering when you would be ready to leave this place?’