Chapter Twenty-One :D

Here's another chapter. Sorry for the long wait. Hope you all enjoy!

CHAPTER 21

MAXINE’S POV

‘John?’

‘Yes?’

‘Are you kidding me? Now is really not the time to be joking. You’ve cheated on one girl ten times?’ I asked seriously hoping he would say he was joking. Anything was better than the truth right now. I had already labelled John as a good person so he couldn’t be telling me the truth now. he just couldn’t.

‘I wish I was kidding Maxine. But I’m not.’

I walked away from him in the kitchen and moved into his living room. I wasn’t sure whether I wanted to be around him or even look at him. If it had been one or two, there could have been a possibility that I would have overlooked it possibly slowly but in the end I would have. But this was ten! TEN! How can one man cheat on his girlfriend ten times? If we did embark on a relationship, then how was I ever supposed to trust him? How was I supposed to see him with a girl and not wonder whether or not he was sleeping with her?

I heard footsteps behind me as I leaned over the couch.

‘Maxine. Talk to me.’ John whispered.

‘That’s the problem. I don’t know what to say.’ I whispered back.

I was still processing what he had told me. John didn’t look like the kind of man who would cheat. But then again, what did a man who would cheat look like in the first place. He certainly wouldn’t have a sign on his forehead saying: I AM A CHEAT. It didn’t work like that.

‘Maxine?’

‘I’m going to go home. I need time to process this.’

‘No. Please, let’s just sit here and talk about this. I want to explain. I can’t do that if you go home and we leave this.’ He said.

I walked over to the other side of the room, taking my belongings and walking back towards John.

‘We can’t talk about anything until I process what you’ve told me. I need to try and understand that the guy who I was on the way to being in a relationship with has previously cheated on his ex ten times.’ I stated with no emotion.

‘Maxine-‘

‘No John. I need to go. I’ll see you at work.’

I turned to walk towards the door already thinking about the hot bubble bath that I seriously needed to calm myself down so that I could think clearly when I realised that there was one more detail I wanted to know.

I turned on my heels and stared at his figure. He had turned towards my direction with a saddened look on his face.

‘Was it with ten girls that you cheated on your ex with? Or did you just have one girl and slept with her ten times?’

‘It was more than one girl but I had sex with someone other than my ex.’

I nodded slowly. I really couldn’t be around him at this time.

‘Bye.’

I made the quickest exit I could and breathed in the London air once I got outside. It was already dark and the stars were shining brightly. I wished the date had turned out differently. If it had, John would be walking to my car right about now with his arm around my shoulder holding me to his chest and laughing with me about the most ridiculous of things. We ranged from talking about the silly things he had flushed down the toilet when he was a child to how I liked to randomly laugh at past memories. He would have stopped in front of my car, waited for me to slip my things into the backseat of my car and then given me a long kiss goodnight making me smile inside. But that hadn’t happened.