Chapter Thirteen!

CHAPTER 13

MAXINE’S POV

Why oh why oh why oh why oh why did I go and say that? I shouldn’t have let him know that the fact that he was with someone else bugged me. In fact, it killed me. Somehow my feelings for this man had escalated from simple lust and childish dreams to something more serious. I was really starting to like John. Really like him. Now I was too late. That sexy siren of a woman now had him all to herself. I could feel John’s gaze on me as I stared straightforward at the elevator. When the doors opened, I almost ran out so I wouldn’t have to face him. He was the last person I wanted to see right now. Looking at him and watching the way he looked at me made me want to lock myself in a room and stay like that. How could I have been so stupid? How could I have let him go? He was willing to take a risk for me and I had let him go? Oh Maxine Rivers, you stupid stupid girl. I slammed my fist down on the table.

‘Take it easy please.’ I jumped up slightly. Startled at the sudden second presence in my office.

‘John’ I whispered.

‘That’s my name’ he sang instantly breaking the tension that always seemed to build up whenever he and I were in the same room.

‘Hi.’ I smiled

He came further into the room, closed the door and shut the blinds.

‘We need to talk Maxine.’ He stated, becoming serious all of a sudden.

‘Yes, sure. What going on?’ I asked.

To him, I must have seemed cool and unaffected, or at least I hope I did. On the other hand, inside, was a totally different thing.

I was panicking. I had no idea what he was planning to do. Would he shout at me for being super distant with him so much, or would he simply kiss me? His strides were powerful and his face seemed hard.

‘You’re acting as if I’m a disease and I don’t know what I’ve done to be honest. I've told you how I felt. I laid it all out on the table for you Maxine. And yet you rejected me.’

My stomach began to churn as he reminded me of the mistake that I had made. A stupid yet giant mistake. All I wanted to do was tell him that I had been wrong to do that. I should have said yes when he wanted to take our friendship further. I should have started a relationship with him.

I opened my mouth to speak but he wasn’t having it.

‘Don’t talk. I’m going to let this all out. I have to let it all out.’

At that, I closed my mouth and nodded.

‘You rejected me. I didn’t reject you. YOU rejected me. I don’t do rejection. When it comes to women, I don’t do rejection. I like the answer to be yes. Call me egotistical or whatever it is you want, but I like the answer to be yes. When Penelope came into my office and saw the way you barged it and barged back out again, she concluded that you liked me. To say that I had a glimmer of hope would be a euphemism. To even think that I had a chance with you, even though you clearly acted as if I wasn’t the kind of person you wanted to be with, was a great thing. And while we’re at it. Let’s clear this up right now. I am not with anybody. There’s no one else in my life. How can you even think that? Do you think that if I was interested in someone else that I would have kissed you? Do you think I would do that? What kind of man do you take me for Maxine? What kind? I want to be with you. Ok? I want to be with you quite badly now. If I hadn’t woken up so late, there would probably be a vase of flowers on your desk right about now. But oh well. Screw that. I don’t like this avoiding thing that you’re doing to me. If anything I should be the one avoiding you. I laid my feelings out. I put myself on the line but you rejected me. So don’t you dare, think it’s alright to punish me when I did absolutely nothing wrong.’

After finishing his speech, he walked out of my office.

I collapsed on my chair and simply started crying.

What was I crying for?

For myself.

For what I had done.

For trying to be safe and having it get thrown back in my face.

I cried.

.............................................................................................................................................................................................

Oooooh tension!

Please vote and comment.

Thank you! :) x