Chapter 2 - Am I Going Crazy?

The next day, I walked into the classroom, my hair back in a ponytail. I was wearing black and white leggings, an oversized dark red sweater and matching dark red converse. I had on one strap of my leather bookbag as I approached the front of room 47. This is where I would spend the rest of my day. Unlike the other schools, we followed the same procedures as an elementary school, so were in the same room each day for the whole day, with exception to the gym or the library. Sadly, this also applies to our high school. As our class was the honors class, we were usually with the same people every year. I always came early to school, so I just slouched against the doorframe, waiting for my friends to come. Normally, the three of us are the first ones there, but that wasn't the case today.

Speaking of the devil, Alice "freaking" Carter was walking towards me. I shoved my face in my book bag to pretend to look for something. She was the last person I wanted to talk to right now. As she walked closer, I saw her face was red, and her eyes were teary. She was reading something on her phone. She spotted me and stopped.

"Hi." She sounded nice and sweet, but her voice was cracking.

"Are you Adam's friend?" Alice choked on her words. I nodded, looking into the icy blue eyes. "Did he like me?" she asked.

I awkwardly smiled at her, trying to hide how uncomfortable I was talking to her. "He loves you more than football," I answered.

Her eyes got cold and stern. "Then why did he break up with me?!" Alice's voice changed from sad to serious and angry. "I could murder a man right now!" She started bawling and cursing under her breath saying names of people that could have caused it. My name was repeated more than anything. Alice believed I convinced Adam to break up with her for Gabriella. She started laughing and facing me. She looked insane. I could hear her every mumble, but each word made her seem more broken.

Periods went by, and I was trying my best to avoid the now ex-couple. It was hard, as Adam sat right beside me, but I pulled it off for some time. I talked to Gabriella and Maia in between breaks, each of us careful not to mention anything related to Adam or Alice. As lunch soon began, we started to get our lunch bags and head for the door. Adam quickly stepped in front of us and let out a small smile.

"I'm sorry about Alice. I just couldn't take her obsessive behavior or how she treated me. I realized she wasn't right for me. To be honest, I think I'm going to hide in the bathroom. But it's not your fault, no matter what." He ran away after his short speech. I didn't know what to think about it.

"Why did he tell us that?" Maia said with a knowing smile on her face, as she knew Gabriella would start to ramble on. "Do you think he likes me? I mean, Alice's wrath is totally off of him!" Gabriella said. I smiled. We both knew Gabriella would never stop talking about Adam, now that he was single again. The two of them continued talking until we reached the quad. I would occasionally nod, but I was more focused on the people in front of us. Edwin was holding Wendy's bags and leaning in for multiple kisses, all denied by Wendy. Edwin, who was a little off in the room upstairs, loved Wendy to no extent. I found it amusing how Wendy abused the power. As I sat down, I looked away from Wendy and smiled at my friends in realization.

"Tomorrow is our sleepover! It's gonna be crazier than ever!" Our weekly Friday sleepover was tomorrow, and every time, we do the same thing, but it seems better and better each time. "You say that every single Thursday," Gabriella said, rolling her eyes. Maia nodded in agreement.

Nevertheless, the sleepovers were always something to look forward too. The first sleepover started in second grade at my place, and after a rough start, we started doing it weekly.

As we opened up our lunches, Maia bit into a burrito and exclaimed dramatically, "I love eating!" She was mimicking me, as gluttony was my burden and blessing. I could consume anything, and oddly, it has become so normal, no one notices it much, if not for a quick tease. Oh, and I just love burritos more than anything else.