Chapter 3 - Siren Go Boom Boom

The next day, I woke up later than usual, not wanting to have a chance of awkwardly meeting Alice or my best friends before class. From yesterday, I still needed to figure out what the hell happened. It was still bothering me. Unless I had a rare mental disorder that made me see fake people, I think my whole class had gone haywire.

I packed my pajamas. It was a tradition to pack our sleepwear, even if I was going back home. It was something we held up for the last seven years. My pajamas were just an over-sized white shirt with the England flag and blue pajama pants. Finishing up with my pajamas, I started to put on my normal, everyday school clothing. I wore my hair down, slightly curled from the braids I put in the night before. As I rummaged through my wardrobe to find a suitable shirt, I picked up a long forgotten black beanie. It said "Rebel" across the front. I wore a slightly cropped black top, high waisted jean shorts, and a black and red flannel around my waist. I wore dark red long socks up to my knees. I finished the look with black leather combat boots.

I grabbed my bookbag and headed to the kitchen. My mom smiled at me, "Cereal?" she asked.

I shook my head, "I'll have just an apple." My mom looked quite concerned at my breakfast choice, but she didn't say anything. I knocked on my dad's door, yelling for him to take me to school. He came out of the room, with his business suit.

"Let's go honey," he replied with a smile. As we stepped out of the house, I took a deep breath, readying myself for the events to come.

Fast forwarding to school, most of my classmates were already seated at their desks. I sat down next to an empty seat. Adam still wasn't here. Maia looked over to me and made her way next to me. Gabriella, in her usual cat sweater, came towards us too.

"What happened yesterday?" They both asked, obvious that they had been discussing this together for a while.

I shrugged and pulled my science notebook out. "I was tired and didn't feel well," I answered. It didn't feel right, not telling my friends the whole truth, but at least, I didn't lie.

As Mrs.Brockman walked in, everyone scurried away from their friends' seats, to theirs. She didn't talk much. It was one of those work days. We just had to continue our body system projects. Our first three periods, science, math, and language arts, felt only like an hour. Alice still wasn't in school, but Adam had showed up with, what seemed like a legit late pass.  As we headed out to brunch, I realized happily that the first half of the day passed by with no complications. I just couldn't wait for the sleepover to spend time with Gabriella and Maia. I would try to get back to normal terms with them.

Gabriella and Maia walked a little ahead of me, as I was lost in my own thoughts. Just as I was about to quicken my pace to catch up with them, my science group stopped me at the staircase.

"Ember!" Edwin's voice boomed behind us. It was so loud, that Maia and Gabriella stopped as well. All three of us turned around to face Wendy, Edwin, and Adam.

"We have a quick question," Wendy said.

"Can it wait?" I asked. I wanted to spend time with my friends, especially now. Edwin shook his head.

"It's ok, we can just wait," Maia called, getting the hint. She come closer towards us.

I looked over at the iPad Adam was holding. From the reflection, I could see a lock of blonde hair from the corner. It was Alice. She seemed extremely cheerful today. Good, I thought, nothing weird was going to happen.

"Hello guys," she said all happy. But something was wrong. Her eyes were all blue. No pupil, just all sky blue. We all stood shocked, and no one said a word. She proceeded, keeping her hands behind her back, obviously hiding something. But what was it? "Well, Adam you want to get back with me? Last chance. Oh and I do mean last," she said. He didn't respond for what seemed like forever.