Chapter 5

Jason's POV

She came back after the longest 15 minutes of my life. All this time, I and Nathan kept exchanging puzzled glances. I expected Nate to dig for secrets or to tease me but I guess he too sensed tension in air.

Her eyes were red and there was something so deep in those hazels that my heart broke for her. I wanted to hug her tightly and do everything in my reach to make her happy. I stepped towards her but I think she already saw it coming so she quickly hugged me "I need to go. Thanks for lending me your time and making my day beautiful." Her voice was raspy, you didn't need to be a genius to make out why. She waved me and Nate a goodbye and left briskly.

I stayed glued at my position for a while, processing what just happened. Nathan shook me lightly snapping me back to reality. That's when I realised that I let her go again. He was saying something but I was too busy cursing myself. I passed a frustrated hand through my messed up hair and cussed until it dawned. My eye snapped wide and I literally dug car keys from Nate's pocket. I ran out to the car and opened the trunk wide. Her shopping bags were there.

Please just this one time let my luck work. I mentally prayed and opened the bags and dug bill out. As expected it had her phone no. written on it. I knew calling her would be a bad idea. So, I listened to my heart and called scrappy. Why? Well the guy has lots of connections. I gave him the number and demanded the address as soon as possible. In less than 5 minutes, I knew where she lived. I revved the car to life and drove to her dwell, mentally praying for her. Only I knew how I managed to dodge all the paparazzi following me. After all I can't let them invade her personal space too. Now can I? Nathan called while I was waiting for address, he was pissed but wanted to come with me.

Damn! I owe him a lot of explanation.

I parked in the driveway and hopped out of the car. Lights were off indicating the possibility of her not being back yet but my heart said she was in. I stood for a few moments in front of her door contemplating the idea of coming here. Finally summoning my all courage I knocked lightly on door as if it will break if I knock hard. There was no reply. I knocked harder this time but the moment my knuckles touched the door frame, it slid open on its own due to little force.

"Door is open she must be home." I whispered biting my lip. I was really stressed about the whole situation and the sweat beads on my forehead were witness for the same.

I stepped in. It was dark nothing was visible. I looked around, hoping I didn't broke in wrong house. I almost gave up and moved out when something caught my eye. To my right was something that seemed like a kitchen counter and I saw a glimpse of toes there. I gulped hard and kept praying for her, slowly moving in the direction. I closed my eyes for split second, clenching and unclenching my knuckles to get rid of nervousness.

Finally with a last step ahead, I was in front of the most heart-breaking sight I have ever encountered. Moonlight was illuminating her beautiful face that was void of any emotion. Her features were a complete blank and it was so painful to see that. But her eyes, they could never lie. They were choked by emotions, emotions that didn't dare to slide down. Her back rested on counter and her knees hugged her body. She seemed so broken that it was somehow enough to shatter my heart.

There she was, looking at the moon through the window, probably wishing for somebody who will never care.

My eyes welled up at the sight. She is so drowned in her sorrows that she didn't even notice my presence.

I settled down next to her and squeezed her shoulder, making my presence evident. She snapped out of her reverie and turned her head towards me. The moment our gazes locked, I felt as if every bit of pain she has been through, is rushing to me. It seemed as if I could see her whole life in her eyes. Her lips quivered and tears started streaming down. She fell in my arms and I wrapped them securely around her. She broke down, breaking me too. Her fists grabbed my shirt tightly. She was panting. I could feel her heart racing against my chest. My shirt went damp with tears but it was a privilege for me to be able to give her a shoulder to cry. I tightened the embrace and rubbed her sides to comfort her. But at this point it seemed as if I needed the hug more than her.

"What happened? Tell me. I am here. I ain't going nowhere."

"Dad. Our pic. Slut. Am... I... Am I a... Slut?" She managed to say in between her gasps. My eyes went wide.

"No never!!"

"Then why... why does he always... always hurt me. Am I that ba... bad? Am I that hard to lov...love? Why me al...always? What did I d...do?"

"Shh."

"Everybody leaves...leaves me... you will too...please stay away...I am scared...scared of attach...attaching myself with you...coz you will leave me too."

My voice was struck in my throat. She bottled so much inside her. I buried my head deep in her shoulder that was covered with her hair, taking in her sweet fragrance as she broke down even more if that were possible. I rubbed her back gently and with one last deep breath, I trusted the voice of my heart.

"Across the ocean, across the sea,
starting to forget the way you look at me now
over the mountains, across the sky,
Need to see your face, I need to look in your eyes"

I started singing for her, her body calmed a bit in my arms. I knew that's the best thing I could do.

"Through the storm and through the clouds
Bumps on the road and we're upside down
I know it's hard, babe, to sleep at night
don't you worry
'cause everything's gonna be alright, ai-ai-ai-aight
be alright, ai-ai-ai-aight"

She took shaky breaths that shook me with her. I rubbed her back again.

"Through the long nights
and the bright lights
don't you worry
'cause everything's gonna be alright, ai-ai-ai-aight
be alright, ai-ai-ai-aight"

Her breathing became quite steady and so did her heartbeat.

"All alone, in my room...
Waiting for your phone call to come soon
and for you, oh, I would walk a thousand miles,
to be in your arms, holding my heart

Oh I,
Oh I,
(Oh I),
love you
And everything's gonna be alright, ai-ai-ai-aight
be alright, ai-ai-ai-aight"

I kept singing for her until her crying died to a few sobs.

"You know that I care for you
I'll always be there for you
I promise I will stay right here, yeah

I know that you want me too,
Baby we can make it through... anything
'Cause everything's gonna be alright, ai-ai-ai-aight
Be alright, ai-ai-ai-aight"

Her breath was back to normal and her heart pounded at normal pace against my chest. I looked down at her.

She fell asleep in my arms.

I sighed. "I will never leave you." I mumbled and rested my head again on her shoulder. The last thing I remember before sleep took over was somebody mumbling something in my chest.

Something like "I love you Jason."