Chapter 39

Violet's POV

Bright sunlight jolted me out of my slumber, making my head ache 1000 folds worse. I covered my eyes with my palm and tried to open them. I felt completely blind for a moment but after blinking back the black dots and adJasong to surrounding lights, I removed the shade of my palm. I took in my surroundings and in an instant I was completely awake.

I was in my room.

Cameron must have bought me.

Assuring myself that it was indeed only Cameron, who knew where I must have gone, I got out of my bed and walked towards the attached bathroom. I looked at my reflection in the mirror as I leaned closer, balancing my weight on counter

I looked like the poster child for heartbreak. My hair were everywhere, sticking in odd angles. My cheeks were stained with tear salts and a thick layer of drool was on corner of my mouth. My skin looked pale. But what affected me most were my eyes- swollen, bloodshot and lifeless.

I winced at my reflection and quickly turned the faucet on. Splashing the water several times, I dried my face with hand towel before grabbing my toothbrush.

Deciding to bathe and get rid of apparent slime and dirt on me, I hopped in the shower after stripping off my crinkled and rather dirty clothes. The warm water instantly relaxed my cramped muscles and I found myself sighing with content.

It took me 20 minutes to shampoo and condition my hair, to scrub the slime off with my favourite sandalwood shower gel and to notice that I indeed forgot to bring my clothes with me. Again.

To be honest, Cameron is everything a girl could wish for in her prince charming. He is good looking, alluring, polite, caring and charming of course. But even when I know that I am more than just his best friend, I couldn't find it in me to reciprocate his feelings. He deserves better than me.

I and Cameron never let this come in between our more than perfect friendship though. We were having a huge fight on my past, the day he confessed to me. I thought that he was joking for a moment but the glint in his eyes said otherwise. He didn't even let me answer him because he quickly added that he knows I don't love him like that. He vowed to never let this get between us and I respected that. But this resulted in me jumping on every chance to hook him up. He knew this but never said anything. Matter slipped out of hand when I had an attack watching Jason on news with a certain someone. He promised me that day that he won't bring or let Jason make an appearance in my life until I am ready but he made me promise to not play matchmaker for him. I refused but he said that he won't be moving on until I finally grow a pair and confront Jason about everything. He said that even though seeing me love and hurt because of someone else was tough job, he won't let go of me. Not until I either let go of Jason or I let go of hurt he put me through. True to his words, he never let me even hear the name 'Jason'. He would get newspaper first to check if there was any scoop related to him. If there was, he would simply tear that page off and throw it away. He would never put news, music or interview channels on our cable package. He won't even listen to any song of his or bring his name up in any conversation. He won't ever drive me to my favourite café through a road that had Jason's billboard, even when it was 20 minute faster route. Hell, even the term 'Jason Blakely' is a blocked search in our Wi-Fi.

He always kept his promise and this means that if I don't jump on this opportunity and talk my differences out with Jason, then my best friend won't press play button of his life anytime soon. As much as I am thankful for him, I still feel like an anchor that his weighing him down. He wanted to travel the world but he is stuck taking care of a jobless idiot. It's like he has made my troubles his own battles. I appreciate it but I still feel like I am holding him back. Cameron however doesn't think so. He has clarified a million times that I am whats left of a family to him and he is being selfish instead of selfless to keep me with him.