Chapter 37

Jason's POV

I woke up in the middle of the night because of a frightened scream. I was relatively sober and that meant a massive headache but the moment I noticed unfamiliar surroundings of a room whose wall opposite to bed was covered in quotes, my headache intensified 100 folds. Events of earlier today rushed back making me want to puke. I turned my head to find my phone.

112 missed calls. 423 texts. Go figures!

I squinted my eyes to see the time- 2:17 AM. I threw my comforter and slowly but surely followed the constant whispers and sobs. It was the room opposite to the one I was in. The door was half open and swaying a little as if someone just rushed in and forgot to lock it completely. I inched closer as curiosity got the most of me.

Bad move.

Curiosity literally killed this cat. Violet was sitting curled in a ball leaning against Cameron's chest. He was rubbing her back and whispering something into her ear while helping her take some medicine with water.

Medicine?

I didn't get any time to dwell on it as the moment he kept the glass on nightstand, he swallowed her into a tight hug. She buried herself in him as if he was her knight in shining armour and nothing was safer than his arms. He kissed her crown and laid her down along with him, still cooing something. His hand patted her hair in affection and slowly but surely her breathing turned natural.

I stood there frozen and heartbroken, torturing myself with all of it. The air suffocated me with her presence. My eyes finally broke contact with cuddled couple and fell on wall behind the bed. It was covered from pictures. Pictures of Violet and him, from top to bottom.

So many moments were captured here but not ours. We had more beautiful, too perfect to be true moments too then why didn't we last?

Guess that was the problem. They were too perfect to be true and maybe just maybe they were really not true.

I took a sharp breath and unclenched my jaw and fist, passed a hand through my hair tugging the ends in frustration. With one last look at her, I walked to the room I was sleeping. I slipped my converse on and barged towards the door to leave.

I didn't make it though. The moment I touched the door knob, a voice filled my ear.

"Stay." I admit that I was dying to hear her voice for forever but right now it made me even more furious. I turned to face her and didn't even try to mask my anger.

"Stay?" I laughed humourlessly. "Funny coming out of your mouth."

She flinched at my tone and bit her lips. Cameron was by her side soon and squeezed her hand. She visibly relaxed at this and gave him a grateful smile to which he replied with a reassuring one.

That did it.

All the pent up anger burst out of me through my fist that connected with Cameron's jaw, breaking their oh-so perfect bubble the same way their bubble broke me.

Colour drained from Violet's face and she looked as if I punched her instead of Cameron. In a split second, she managed to prevent him from falling. She held his head on her shoulder. Cameron didn't hit back. Why would he? Because next thing I knew, Violet's palm collided with my cheek as sharp stinging pain on my face tried to dominate the pain in my chest.

"Don't ever dare do that again!" her voice had a warning edge as she spoke to me with gritted teeth.

I curled my fists so tight that my knuckles threatened to burst. My jaw was clenched hard as I blinked back the tears. Channelling my emotions, I spat out a single word with pure venom that made her eyes flash with hurt. She quickly masked it with a blank façade and dragged her now standing friend to what I assumed as kitchen.