Chapter Eight - The Spy

Haegan Newsome's POV

Ugh! That girl Ambree was so stuck up! She thought she was so special after being called beautiful by the prince! Honestly, I don't know what he sees in her. She's nothing compared me, with her ugly curls and horrible eyes. Not to mention her dresses! I mean who even wears yellow? What is this, Beauty and the beast? She's definitely the beast in this fairytale.
My family comes from a long line of beauty and I happened to fall right within the 'gorgeous' category. With my caramel hair and hazelnut eyes I knew I would go far.  At least farther than my cousin Celeste ever did.  Who knows, I might even win.  Who am I kidding, I will win!  As long as I get Aaron to get his eyes off of that brat, Ambree and on me.  So I formed a plan.
~*~*~*~*~
       It was after dinner and I headed up to my room after watching Ambree and Prince Aaron head to the garden.  My maids luckily weren't in there.  I smashed my mirror and picked up a shard.  Using the shard, I tore the skirt of my lovely white dress and scratched up the bodice.  I grabbed my left sleeve and tore it clean off, leaving strings of fabric sticking out.  I took out a few pins in my hair and messed it up while breaking off one of the heels on my silver shoes and taking off the other.
       I grabbed a plant next to me and rubbed some of the dirt from the pot on my face, feet, and dress.  Then I tilted my tiara, ripped out a jewel and walked out of my room.  No one was out there luckily so I dashed to the garden and hid behind a bush.  I watched as Aaron spoke softly to Ambree and when it seemed like he was about to say something serious I ran out and collapsed.
       "Help!"  I gasped desperately.  Aaron ran to my side, not suspecting my plan but Ambree sat there and looked me up and down skeptically.  I smiled and winked at her and she got up quickly and sprinted off.  I began to fake tears and Aaron attempted to soothe me.  You see, being a Newsome and all can be helpful when it comes to acting because everyone always falls for it.
       "Are you okay Lady Haegan?"  He asked in a concerned tone.  "What happened?"  He began panicking. 
       "That awful girl Caspan attacked me!"  I whisper shouted, pretending that my voice was raw.  His eyes widened in disbelief and he shook his head.
       "She wouldn't!  I'll just have to ask Ambree.  After all they do seem to be good friends."  He said.  I felt ready to scream but I knew he wouldn't think that was very lady-like.  After all I had just interrupted his date.
       "Do what you want.  But I'll tell you one thing.  Don't trust..."  I cut myself off on purpose and pretended to have passed out.  I felt his breath quicken as he scooped me up and began running to the hospital wing of the palace.  I saw Ambree out of my one squinted eyes and gave her an evil smirk.  Which made her even more outraged.
       Aaron set me down on a hospital bed and ran to the nearest doctor.
       "She needs help!"  He said loudly.  I heard the doctor shuffle over to me and felt him take my pulse which I had willed to slow down.
       "Her pulse does seem a bit off but I assure you your majesty, she will be fine.  Now please leave.  She's in no condition for visitors.  I heard Aaron sigh before he walked away and left me with the doctor.  He hooked me up to some very unnecessary vitals machines and walked back to wherever he was before.
       I smiled a hidden smile.  I felt like the worlds best spy.  I was sure I had just knocked down the competition to 24 girls.  Maybe even 23 if the prince decided Ambree wasn't worth it.  I sure hoped he saw Ambree's true, evil, and cruel, colors and saw my true, sweet, queenly, colors.  Now my chance of winning was better than ever.