Chapter Twenty - The Stares

As the day went on, I didn't leave my room.  I just sat on my bed and waited for my new maids to arrive.  The sky fell dark and the air grew cold.  Dinner would be soon but I wasn't ready and I didn't care either.  I just continued to sit and mourn my deceased maids.  A soft knock came from my door and it creaked open slowly, revealing three young ladies standing in my doorway. 
       Timidly, they walked in and introduced themselves.  One of the maids by the name of Sapphire, had deep blue eyes and light blonde hair.  She was bubbly and I could just tell she would be great company.  Another one of my replacements had raven black hair and emerald green eyes.  Her name was Amara.  My final new maid was a friendly girl named Ashley.  She had a sweet smile that perfectly complimented her brown hair, highlighted with an ash gold color.  Her eyes were an icy blue and could send a chill down your spine if she tried.
       I hated to admit it, but I liked my new maids.  How could I not?  They were amazing but I'd never forget my first maids.  Sapphire, Amara, and Ashley got me dressed in a gown and did my make-up beautifully.  My dress reached the floor and trailed slightly behind me.  It was a soft baby blue and gracefully flowed down my waist.  The bodice was fitted and went well with my curly up-do.
       I honestly didn't pay any attention during dinner so when Aaron called my name I didn't hear him. He called it a second time and my head jerked in his direction. Smiling, he beckoned me to him and I hesitantly journeyed to his throne. Queen America was still in the hospital so she wasn't there and King Maxon was with her as much as possible so his throne was vacant too.
I was surprised to find that all of the girls were staring at me. It really wasn't necessary for them to all be looking at me. I wasn't that important. Then again, I had just been singled out by the Prince of Illeá. As I approached him I noticed the other girls had stopped staring but Aaron couldn't take his eyes off of me. I grinned shyly and sat at his feet.
"I would like to spend some time with you tonight, Lady Ambree." He said warmly, his eyes peering into mine.
"I was thinking the same thing your majesty." I said, realizing I'd just called him 'your majesty.' "I mean Aaron."
He chuckled deeply but shook it off. "It's a date then?" He asked hopefully.
I nodded. "I'll see you later Aaron!" I said and prepared myself to rise.
"The same to you. Meet me here at eight o' clock sharp."
I nodded quickly and beamed. Rising, I turned to the girls of which were staring at me enviously. They must've known somehow. I guess it wouldn't be all that hard to infer why I'd been summoned by the prince himself. I smiled at them, acknowledging their jealousy, and took my seat at the table. They all gave me dirty glares, especially one girl I had, had the pleasure of not meeting yet.
Kimmer Glitz was her name and she, while seeming kind, also seemed like a fierce spirit and definitely the same for competition. I hoped to get to know her soon but then again she could probably kill me with sweetness so I'd have to pass that up for now. I wondered if she had, had a date with Prince Aaron yet. I imagined what her date with him would be like and began to feel a small tearing feeling in my chest. I was jealous. Jealous of something that most likely, hadn't even happened!
I guess this is what the selection does to people though. They become insane over the tiniest things. At that moment I made myself a vow. I vowed never to ask wrathfully to other contenders in the selection, but only to act rationally when it came to them. I hoped to follow through on my vow throughout my entire selection experience.
~*~*~*~*~

Shoutout to Koopmn22 !! She's a great friend and totally worthy of being one of Ambree's maids! Go check her out! Also, thank you to everyone that's read, voted, and commented on this story! I'm really hoping to receive more comments so I can interact with you guys! Bye for now!

~Clear_Midnight