Chapter Twenty Two - The Stop

I was healed now and walked down the halls for dinner in my bright yellow dress. I had heard rumors of a big announcement happening. As I took my seat after the royal family walked in, I glanced over at Aaron and noticed something was off. He seemed nervous, scared even.
I caught his eye and shot him an inquiring look. He straightened his jacket and put on a brave face, making me a little more comfortable. I turned my head over at Caspan who gave me a smile. We waited for our food then dug in. About halfway through the meal, Aaron stood. I noticed that Queen America was missing but she'd already been healed from being stabbed.
"Ladies, I'm very sorry to inform you this but tomorrow we-I-will be choosing the elite girls. Due to recent events, this is something that is required. Of course there will be only six, for it is a tradition now. I hope, for the girls that will be departing tomorrow, that you all have a wonderful last day here.
"At lunch tomorrow I will be making the cuts. Don't be upset if you aren't one of the elite, I'm sure you'll marry a wonderful man. I'll let you ladies back to your dinners. Have a good night."
We finished our dinners and headed back to ours rooms, heels clicking and murmurs filling the halls of the elegant palace. Caspan and I conversed about what would happen if one, or both, of us got kicked out of the selection. We decided we would sat friends no matter what.  Either way this could be the stop of our journeys here.
I strolled into my room and my maids all rushed around me, asking me questions about the announcement at dinner.  Apparently word did get around quickly.  I brushed them off, went into the bathroom and got changed into a light blue night gown, knowing I would have to tell them at some point.
       As I walked out of the bathroom Sapphire and Amara took my arms a pulled me to my bed.  All my maids sat around me in anticipation about what I was going to say.  It really wasn't that interesting though. 
       I laughed and told them the details.  "Well, he said tomorrow at lunch he would be cutting us from seventeen to six.  I'm not sure if I'm part if the elite yet but I hope I am.  I think after we're lowered to just six girls the competition will get tougher and I'm not ready for that.  I barely know anything about seducing a man, let alone getting him to like me!"
       I don't know why but I was starting to get stressed even though I didn't even know if I would be part of the elite yet. 
My maids cooed to me and calmed my troubled mind, all the while I didn't even notice that Ashley was making us tea.  She came over with four mugs and handed one to each of us, keeping one for herself. 
       We sipped and gossiped about all the interesting things going on in the castle.  I had guessed that things were interesting but I'd never supposed things would be as juicy as they were!  As it turns out, Ashley and Hansel had a thing for each other and were very happy together.  I couldn't stop smiling for my lovely maid.
       The gossip and tea helped take my mind off of the stressful day that tomorrow would be but my mind eventually wandered back to the topic as I tried to sleep.  The thought of being eliminated horrified me but the fierce competition did too.  I didn't know what I wanted.  Besides, I barely even knew Aaron.  What if he was a self absorbed jerk with me not knowing it yet?  It was a possibility!
       Gradually I drifted off to sleep.  Thankfully I didn't wake up until the morning but when I did I was as nervous as ever.  What would happen at lunch?  Now it was time to wait to find out.