Chapter Nine - The Signal

Back to Ambree's POV

       The nerve of Haegan!  I couldn't believe that she would stoop so low as to do something like that!  She was much shallower than I thought.  I guess she was ready to do anything to win.  I mean sure, I wanted to win of course!  But I would never go to such extreme measures!  I suppose the competition does that to people though.  The question was, would it do that to me too? 
       I stormed into my room, startling my maids.  Zoie rushed to my side as quick as her feet could possibly carry her.
       "Are you alright miss?"  She asked politely.  I put on my best 'I'm fine' face and spoke.
       "May I have some time alone?  Please."  I added.  They looked at each other skeptically but eventually all ended up leaving me in peace.  I sighed and thought about Haegan and what had happened.  Did I really want to be here if everyone was going to act like that?  Besides, the Prince did seem a bit overrated at times and he really needed to open up his options.  I didn't want to be the only girl of his interest.  But maybe I would want to in the future.
       It didn't matter.  It was much to late to be thinking like this.  As I was laying down I heard a faint knock at my door.  I yawned.  Apparently that was an invitation to come in because the person who had knocked walked in. 
       "So you decided to continue our date I see?"  I said hopefully to Aaron.  He laughed.
       "That was a bit disruptive, wasn't it?"  He replied.  He nodded.
       "I'll say."  I added which made him laugh.  Why was he so cute?  I told myself to get over him since I was pretty sure I wouldn't win the selection.
       "We need a signal.  A secret signal for when we want to talk to each other.  You know, like my parents ear tugging thing?"  He said.  I remembered the ear tugging from watching a big anniversary reunion show about the selection featuring all of the elite girls and the royal family.  I nodded.
       "Why not just use that?"  I said. 
       "My parents will know."
       "They'll know something no matter what we do."  He nodded at my claim.
       "That may be true, but I'd rather use something.."  He paused.  "Different."  I understood.  No one wanted their life to be exactly like their parents. 
       "How about we bite our lips."  I suggested.  He shook his head.
       "Ouch.  How about we tap our noses."  He tried.  I considered the idea.  It was reasonable and wouldn't make us look stupid.  It was unnoticeable and actually kind of cute.  I liked it.
       "Good idea.  It'll be our little secret signal."