Chapter Eighteen - The Shock

Caspan walked over to me with a huge smile on her face.  She gestured at the door and in came King Maxon and Prince Aaron.  My eyes widened as the royals came over to me, the other girls all giving me dirty looks.  I smiled at the girls then stood and curtsied for the king and prince, which must've reminded the other girls because they repeated. 
       Aaron and Maxon approached me and Aaron took my hand, leading me to the thrones with a grinning Caspan waggling her eyebrows at us.  I rolled my eyes but beamed back at her.  King Maxon sat at his throne and left Aaron and I alone.  I sat on my knees, at his feet and he spoke.
       "Caspan wanted us to show a grand gesture."  He said, smiling.
       I returned the smile.  "I would've been fine without one, but thank you."
       "I knew you wouldn't like all the attention, especially after what you saw." 
       I nodded.  "Everyone keeps saying I'm a hero but I really don't think I did anything." 
       "Are you kidding?  You saved the queen!  The guards weren't even heading over there until you called."
       "Wow, I thought they had already decided to head over before I called."
       "Ambree, you did nothing short of saving her.  You're going to get attention whether you like it or not."
       I nodded solemnly.  "I know, it just-." 
       A soft crackle found its way into my ears.  I perked up and turned my head, alerting Aaron and Maxon.
       "Did you hear that?"  I asked.
       Aaron nodded and so did the king.  I wasn't just imagining it.  The crackle called out again and worry flooded King Maxon's eyes.  He stood and yelled orders to the girls.
       "Everyone get out.  Follow the guards, they know where to take you."  He shouted, then quieted his voice.  "Including you, Ambree."  He directed his words to me.  I nodded quickly, trying not to cry.  I was deathly afraid of fires ever since my experience when I was 15.  The fire was so hot and scary, I just couldn't go through that again.
       I swallowed hard and looked at Aaron.  He must've seen my fear because he embraced me, then sent me out of the room.  I headed to the exit but didn't make it in time.  A blast of fire came from behind and threw me to the floor.  Aaron shouted my name but it was barely audible over the ringing in my ears.  I tried to move but the pain was too immense. 
       I could feel the heat of the fire behind me and willed myself to stand.  Limping, I trudged back to Aaron and Maxon, the only place not in flames.  I was fighting to stay awake but couldn't take the stress anymore and collapsed in Aaron's arms, slipping into the realm of unconsciousness.
~*~*~*~*~
Prince Aaron's POV

       My dad told the girls to leave the room, including Ambree.  I didn't want her to go.  She was so comforting, but I knew she had to go.  She nodded but I could see the fear in her eyes.  I hugged her close to my chest and let her go slowly.  She turned to walk out but she wasn't quick enough.
       An explosion attacked her and sent her flying across the floor.  Please don't be dead, please don't be dead.  She wasn't.  I watched her as she stood, struggling and powered through to me.  I could see her consciousness slipping and the look of bitter defeat all over her.  She took a deep breath, then passed out in my arms, surprising me a bit but I held her.  I scooped up her legs and held her 'bride' style. 
       She wasn't heavy at all, so I easily sprinted through a secret passageway.  The door thudded behind us, leaving us in darkness and without my father.  There was no way to get my father in now so I continued running down the hall.  I reached another door, this one was metal, and burst through, into a room that was fire proof.  Setting Ambree down, I shut and locked the door. 
       Ambree's chest was moving slowly up and down, showing signs of life.  I knew if she didn't get help soon she would die.  Her face was still beautiful with the scrapes and burns, and her hair still perfect with the smoldering tips and messy locks.  Her make-up still looked pristine, but her dress did not. Her elegant black day dress was tattered and burnt at the ends and ripped on the sleeves and all over the bodice. One of her blood-red heels was broken and the other one's straps were broken.  Her previous jewelry was non-existent.  It had flown off during the explosion, and been destroyed.
       Her perfection was shocking, despite her condition.  I knew, at that moment, that she had a chance of being the one, my queen.  In the midst of all my thoughts, I realized my father could be in grave danger.  I couldn't do anything but worry, though.  So what was the point? 
       I sat next to Ambree and stroked her hair gently.  Her breathing had grown shaky and unpredictable.  It was like a car trying to start.  I knew I couldn't do anything to help her though.  I turned to her sputtering body and rested my hand on her chest.  I pushed down, in attempt to steady her breathing but it wasn't hard enough.  I pushed again, harder and she gasped, opening her eyes.
       Her breaths were ragged at first but soon steadied out to a calm pace.   She stayed in her laying position and rested her hand on her stomach, silently.  Neither of us said a word or moved a muscle.  We were both worried about the other girls and the staff.  I knew Ambree was thinking of Caspan and I suspected she knew I was thinking of my dad.  The fire was a shock.  I never knew something like this could happen during the selection.  It was supposed to be peaceful and romantic.