Chapter Ten - The Syndrome

I woke up, yawning. The light from outside, pouring into my room and the draft of crisps Angeles air seeping into my room from the open doors of the balcony. Memories from last night cam flooding in like a storm. I smiled remembering Aaron and I's secret signal. I hopped out of my bed and realized my maids weren't there. Although it didn't matter much, I could dress myself couldn't I?
I walked to my closet to pick out my dress for the day. I settled on a short, white, floral dress that wove in and out on the skirt like my black day dress. The bodice fit nicely and had pink and yellow flowers on it just like the skirt, while the sleeves fit loosely in the shape of the sleeves on a t-shirt.
I brushed out my curly hair and let it flow loosely. My make-up was light and subtle on my face and my lip-gloss was pink and cheery. I slipped on some bright yellow heels and strutted out of my room. When I walked into the Women's Room all eyes were an me, including Queen America's.
I looked up at her and smiled. She tugged her ear. I was confused at first but then I remembered America and Maxon's secret signal from their selection. I tugged my ear back and took a seat in a chair next to Caspan. She smiled brightly at me and touched my dress.
"Oh my gosh! Ambree you look gorgeous!" She beamed. I smiled.
"Please, I'm nothing next to you!" I gushed. She giggled. Her smile complimented her electric green eyes which matched her fiery red hair. Her dress was sea foam green with diamond jewel accents and matching jewelry. She was simply stunning.
I glanced up at the queens throne and she widened her eyes. I walked over to her and she beamed. Her smile was truly radiating and could light up a room. She waved to me to sit. I sat at her feet and she began talking.
"All Aaron has been talking about is you!" She said light heartedly which made me grin.
"I'm sure you're exaggerating! Surely he's said other things! I'm not that interesting!" I exclaimed.
"Oh, but you are! At least to him." She waggled her eyebrows which made me laugh.
"Honestly, I don't think I'm the one! The selection just started!" I said, refusing to believe what she was saying. She laughed and all the girls looked at us. It didn't matter though, I was having a brilliant time!
"Maybe you don't see his admiration for you yet but soon eno-." America stopped speaking abruptly and her hand flew to her mouth. "Oh..." She said in concern. Her face drained color and her eyes grew wide. I began to panic. Queen's don't panic like that easily. What was going on! I turned around and to my horror I saw a dozen girls collapsed on the ground.
"What's wrong with them?" I almost shouted as I stood. I looked back at Queen America and she shook her head, trying to process the horrible scene in front of her.
"I don't know... They- they just collapsed!" Her voice turned from quiet and gentle to concerned and loud. "Ladies! Please report back to your rooms and do not come out until a guard comes around to tell you it's safe." America's voice filled the room with an eerie feeling. Had she just said 'until it's safe'? This was insane! I couldn't begins to imagine what was going on. There's no way this was possible!
"Queen America! What's going on?!" I asked frantically. I glanced back at the girls and saw Caspan lying on the ground, un-moving. America shook her head as if to say 'I don't know!'.
I sprinted away from America and to Caspan. I kneeled beside her and shook her shoulder. She didn't move. I shook her again, more frantically this time. Still nothing.
"Caspan!" I screamed. "Caspan wake up!" I shook her again, through tears this time. She still didn't move. I looked around at the other girls that weren't moving. Queen America walked over to me and pulled me to a stand. She wiped my tears and tried to walk with me to my room but I fought her. She grabbed my hand in attempt to stop me from returning to Caspan but I ripped it away from her.
Multiple guards approached me and took my arms. They dragged me away and into the halls. I kept attempting to escape but had no prevail. All they did was tighten their grip which began to hurt. I looked back to America with a pleading look. Her expression was hurt and concerned. She turned around and leaned into King Maxon as doctors went rushing into the Women's Room.
The guards continued dragging me to my room and locked me in, with a guard outside my door. Stupid sickness, stupid selection, stupid everything! Why couldn't it have been me instead of Caspan! She would make a much better queen than me! Why did they have to lock me in here? It was so annoying.
My maids were still missing so I didn't bother to change my clothes. I simply slid off my heels and pulled the covers on my bed over myself. I willed myself not to cry for awhile, seeing that the guard outside would hear but after what felt like forever I let it flow. Tears streamed down my face and I tried to keep it quiet but it didn't work.
I heard my door open and to my dismay a voice called out.
"Lady Ambree?" A man's voice said, although it sounded more like a kid maybe my age. I rapidly wiped my tears and showed myself. The man that had come in had sharp blue eyes like Aaron's but hair unlike his. It was brown and short. He was dressed in a uniform. He was definitely a guard.