Chapter Nineteen - The Sky

It was morning and Aaron was passed out next to me. I stirred, not wanting to awake him and sat up. He groaned and sat up beside me, and smiled.
"Good Morning Lady Ambree." He said, somehow cheerily.
I yawned and replied. "Right back at you." He chuckled warmly. "What? To soon?" I said nudging him.
"No, I just like how open you are with me." He said truthfully.
"I'm practically a book." I yawned again and stood up. "When are we going to get out?" I whined.
He laughed again and answered. "I'm not sure Ambree." He said depressingly and I stomped back to my seat.
"At least I'm not in here alone." I sighed. "But I can't help wondering about how Caspan and the others are."
"Don't worry, they're safe." He told me reassuringly.
I nodded. "What happened though?" I wondered.
"The rebels. Southerners. They bombed the palace." He answered sternly, not wanting to go further in detail.
"How bad was it?" I asked, although part of me didn't want to know. "Will you have to send us home?"
"They only got the Women's Room, I think. If the damage is bad enough I'll have to choose the elite girls."
"Oh." I couldn't believe it was possible to cut it down to the elite already!
I was about to further my words but the door creaked open and cut me off. Light spilled in, revealing Hansel in the doorway. He waved us to him and lead us out of the secret bunker and into what used to be the Women's Room. My hand flew to my mouth and I gasped.
There was rubble everywhere and the walls were crumbled and still burning. The ceiling was non-existent, seeing as there was a huge hole in it.  The sky was a musty blue and smelled of bitter smoke.  I coughed violently but trudged on with Hansel and Aaron.  Aaron rubbed my arm and helped me along. 
       We made it into the hall and I let out one last cough before perking up and leaving Hansel and Aaron to find Caspan and my maids.  I walked to Caspan's room and found her sitting on her bed, staring at the floor.  I knocked on the doorframe and her head turned my way.  A smile immediately covered her face and she stood up to hug me.
       "I was so worried after you didn't show up in the safe room!"  She said.
       "I was worried too!  It's good to see you're okay but I need to find my maids.  I'm not really looking my best as you can probably see."  I said gesturing to my tattered dress and mangled hair. 
       She giggled and waved goodbye as I stepped out of her room.  I burst into my room only to find it empty.  I dashed to find Sylvia and knocked her over when I did.  She was walking around a corner and I smashed into her, sending both of us to the ground.  I easily stood up and pulled Sylvia up with me.  She brushed off her dress and made a disgusted face at mine.  I smiled, which snapped her out of her trance and she smiled back.
       "Have you seen my maids?"  I asked hopefully.
       "Oh, Lady Ambree.  I'm sorry to inform you this, but your maids passed during the fire."  She said way to perkily.
       A weight was dropped on my heart and I sucked in a breath to contain myself.  "Oh."  I said sadly.  "Thank you for telling me."  Although I wasn't all that thankful for anything at the time.  She nodded and continued down the hall, leaving me to head back to my room.
       I plopped myself on my bed and sighed.  I didn't know my maids very well but I still appreciated having them for the time being and I never got to tell them.  Now they were gone forever and I would probably get stuck with horrible replacements.  Abby, Kelsey, and Zoie, my faithful maids, were gone.
~*~*~*~*~
A/N:

Shoutout to my maids!  Yes, they are based off my friends.  KV2700 thank you for allowing me to put you in this story.  Beneaththesea001 thanks to you too for allowing me to use you for my book.  Last but not least, we have TigerPanda77 another brilliant maid!  Thanks to all of you!  I would also like to thank everyone that's read this so far and helped get me to where I am now. 

Go follow my maids and check out their amazing books!  Love you guys!