Chapter Twenty Three - The Start

Ashley shook me awake.  I groaned and attempted to push her off but she was relentless.
       "Ma'am you need to get ready for breakfast."  She urged.
       I groaned again.  "Fine.  What am I wearing?" 
       She sat me up and gestured goofily at a gorgeous white day dress with lace at the collarbone and my signature skirt, along with a fitted bodice.  I smiled and stood up, grabbing the dress and heading into the bathroom.  The dress was perfect as always.
       For my makeup I decided on a classic red lip and plain black eyeliner for my eyes.  I walked back into my room and Ashley, along with my other maids rushed over to me and sat me in a chair.  They twisted my hair into a low twist of curly hair and left a few strands out in the front.  My look was ready and so was I. 
        I traveled with Caspan to breakfast and we sat in our usual spots across from each other.  The other seats were already filled by the other nervous girls.  This was our last time together before the elite were chosen. 
       During breakfast Aaron called each of us over to him one by one.  It was awhile before I was called but it happened eventually.  It really wasn't anything though.  The only thing he said was that he wanted me to stay after dinner.  He obviously wasn't going to eliminate me then but I was still kind of nervous for what he'd wanted me for, although I contained myself.
       When the other girls were all dismissed I was the only one left.  King Maxon, who was the only one present besides Aaron, left and winked at Aaron.  He approached me gingerly and we walked out to the garden, where I'd expected some of the girls to be on their balconies but there were none. 
       We sat on the bench nearest to my balcony and talked for awhile about ourselves and family.  By the time we were wrapping up our date it was nearly time for lunch.  He stood and grabbed my hand gently, pulling me up too. 
       He stared into my eyes and I stared into his.  Time seemed to stop and my heart raced.  He leaned in and pressed his lips on mine.  I continued the kiss tenderly and savored the moment.  After what seemed like forever I pulled away and we smiled at each other.
       "You should probably get going if you want to make it to lunch on time."  He said, his eyes darting anywhere but mine.
       "Hey."  I said, attempting to reassure him.  "It's fine."
       I placed my hand on his cheek and pulled him in for another kiss.  This one was shorter, seeing as we had to go soon.  After we went our separate ways I smiled like an idiot and headed to Caspan's room to walk with her.  I couldn't help but to tell her what had happened and when I did she didn't seem jealous at all.  She simply squealed and hopped around like a three year old, making me giggle.
       We took our seats once again after the royal family walked in.  There were no plates at any of our seats.  Only six of us would be left in a few minutes.  Aaron stood and his voice filled the room.
       "The following names I am pleased to say, will be the elite six girls."  He took a deep breath and continued.  "Belle Love of Paloma, Chestnut Browns of Calgary."  I heard squeals throughout the room.  "Haegan Newsome of Belcourt, Caspan Erics of Lakedon, and Kimmer Glitz of Summer." 
       He had only said five though.  What was going on?  Aaron spoke once more, reciting the name of the final elite girl.
       "Last but not least, we have Ambree Leger of Clermont."  Caspan kicked my leg playfully and smiled hugely at me which caused me to do the same to her.  I glanced up at Aaron who was now sitting in his throne, grinning at his parents.  I noticed again that Queen America was missing but paid no mind to it.  She was probably busy.
       With that, eleven other girls were escorted out of the room and our lunch was brought to us.  Most of lunch was a blur for me, I was too anxious about the elite girls and what would come of them and the competition.  Once lunch was over I walked to my room, along with five other excited girls.  My maids jumped excitedly as I walked in.  Word seriously got around quickly here! 
       They were already gossiping about who they thought would leave first!  They didn't think Chestnut would stay too long and neither did I.  I hadn't even known who she was before now but then again maybe Aaron knew her well and enjoyed her company.  Word came that we would all be taking dinner in our rooms so Sapphire, Amara, Ashley, and I all had a sleepover in my room, gossiping about all the cutest guard and of course, the prince himself. 
       At one point he actually came to my room and joined the conversation.  We all ended up giggling on the floor and poking each other in a full on poke war. 
       Aaron, at some point, started tickling me which made me accidentally elbow him in the stomach.  We all cracked up at that and had a good time.  When Aaron left the party settled down and I had Sapphire go get Caspan.  We continued gossiping and giggling through the night and eventually, at two in the morning, Caspan went back to her room and we went to sleep. 
       It wasn't very successful though because after it was quiet one of us would start laughing again and waking everyone else up.  We eventually just gave up on sleep and continued to talk in a circle on my bed.  The night was amazing and I never wanted it to end.  If being an elite was like this, I never wanted to leave.