Chapter Twenty One - The Slashes

I scampered up to my room to prepare myself for my date with Aaron at eight.  I burst in and my maids all stared at me.
       "Don't just sit there!  I have a date tonight!"  I demanded playfully.
       All three of my maids rose and rushed to the closet, hurriedly trying to pick out the perfect dress for me.  They chose a deep blue dress made of satin.  The bodice was fitted and had sleeves to my elbows, while the skirt overlapped a little and flowed perfectly so it would just brush the ground once I was wearing heels. 
       I slipped on a pair of ruby red heels and headed into the bathroom to put on my make-up.  I chose a red lip to match my shoes and did the eyes lightly with a tan tone.  I quickly brushed on a bit of mascara and swiped a thin line of eye-liner in and was ready to go. 
       Before I paraded out the door, Ashley ran up to me and placed a ruby necklace on my collarbone while Amara and Sapphire slipped on a bracelet and a tiara, both including at least one ruby in them.  I smiled and thanked them all before slipping out of my room and heading to the dining hall.
       My heels clicked on the hard floor of the room and I beamed.  I heard laughter and glanced up to find Aaron sitting with the one and only; Kimmer Glitz.  She noticed me and made an apoplectic face and nudged Aaron.  His eyes grew wide and his mouth dropped open.  I shook my head and ran.  How could I have been so stupid as to think he actually liked me when he didn't even remember when our date was?  Our stupid date.
       I dashed up to my room, surprisingly not falling in my heels.  I was on a mission and not even heels could stop me.  I flung open my door and to my luck, my maids were gone.  I quickly put on my pajamas and crawled into my bed, pulling the cozy covers up to my neck.  I slowly dozed off and slept a peaceful slumber, not waking even once.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
       It was now morning and I quickly slipped on a bright red day dress, along with pure white heels and brushing out my perfect curls.  I swiped some matte red lipstick on and brushed on eyeshadow, eyeliner, and blush.
       I confidently strutted out of my room, hoping to have some dignity left in case Aaron kicked me out today.  I joined Caspan about halfway to the dining hall and we chatted all the way down and sat across from each other.  One of the perks about this selection was that there were no assigned seats for any meals. We all took advantage of it and loved it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
       Breakfast was over and Aaron stood.  He began announcing names and I knew I would be called any second.  I braced myself for my name to be called and listened intently.
       "Mallory Parker of Carolina, Emmy Chance of Tammins, and Dana Samber of Likely. Please come meet me here.  The rest of you are dismissed."
       I let out a sigh of relief.  I wasn't gone just yet.  Just as I was exiting, a large commotion came from the prince's direction.  I glanced behind me a saw Dana Samber screaming and crying on the floor.  I guessed that the three had been removed from the completion, lowering us to seventeen girls. 
       Mallory and Emmy had already been escorted out but I suppose Dana did not want to leave.  She continued her sobbing on the floor and Aaron gave me a scared look.  I held back my laughter and walked over to Dana, attempting to comfort her.
        It backfired and she ended up screaming at me and clawing at my legs.  She pulled out a knife-a real knife-from her sleeve and cut at my legs and arms.  She made a small scratch on my calf and I yelped.  She grinned wildly like she was insane. 
       She rose the knife again and whipped it in the air, slashing my other leg open, causing a large cut to form that began bleeding rather quickly.  I collapsed to the ground just as Dana was dragged away by guards.  Prince Aaron rushed to my side and slid into a small pool of my blood but he didn't care.  He pulled me up and whispered in my ear. 
       "I need you to pretend you're fine.  I don't want anyone getting scared, okay?"  I nodded and quickly wiped the blood from my legs. 
       The bleeding stopped as we walked but began again as soon as we reached the hospital wing.  The doctor sat me on a bed and Aaron sat in the chair next to me.  The doctor quickly bandaged my left leg, the one that was injured the worst.  She handed me some medicine to keep it from getting infected and Aaron and I left.
       Instead of escorting me to my room, we headed to the fourth floor and into a small parlor.  We sat on small stools and giggled at every word the other person said.  It was like a lost date made up for. 
       When it was over we said goodbye and went our separate ways, not wanting anyone to know we'd been together.  I headed to the Women's Room and Caspan immediately dashed to me.
       "Ambree, where were you?"  She whisper yelled.
       "I was in my room!"  I whisper yelled back, which made her giggle.
       "That's the one place I forgot to look!"  She exclaimed in the same whispery voice.
       We both leaned over in a fit of laughter and took our usual places on the couch.  I picked up a magazine and looked at little reviews on all of us girls.  Mine said something about my characteristics that would make me a good queen, like my kindness, honestly, humility, and humor.  It was too kind of the magazine, truly.  I wasn't really all those things, was I?  I didn't think so.