Kai x Reader~Rejections

Why can't this just be a normal party? You sigh. You were locked in a cramped closet with jackets and shoes. Everything was small and the space started to feel warm. You just wanted to get out and leave already. You needed sleep and you had so much work to do at home. The door finally opened and you saw someone stumble in. You step to the side as much as you could and let the guy slam into the wall across from the door.

"7 minutes!"called Joy.

"Why..."you sigh.

"What do you mean 'why'?"

You looked up to see Kai turn on a hanging lightbulb. So you were with him. At least you were with your best friend instead of someone random...technically it was someone random though.

"Hello? Y/N?"

Kai snapped a few fingers in your face and you found that you were staring directly at him.

"Phew! I thought you were being mesmerized by my looks."he chuckles playfully winking at you.

"Oh please. What looks?"you chuckle back.

"Haha..."he smiles.

You two stand in the small space. Kai faced you from the opposite side of the wall, and your chests were nearly touching. Kai was becoming a bit uncomfortable...you. You were counting down the seconds to get out.

"Look Y/N. There's something I need to tell you..."

"Yeah go on."you sigh, leaning your head against the doorframe.

"I just...I'll just show you okay."

"Wha-"

Kai leaned in and pressed his lips to yours. The kiss wasn't leading up to anything, he didn't move an inch...neither did you. It felt like eternity, that was until you placed a hand on his chest and lightly pushed him away.

"K-Kai..."you whisper.

"What's wrong Y/N?"he asks.

"I don't know...why did you do that?"you ask.

"I just- I couldn't hold my feelings for you anymore. I wanted to show you that I love you. I love you so much, I just can-"

"Kai stop."you say bluntly.

Kai stopped and looked into your e/c eyes. You took a deep breath and spoke with authority.

"You'll make someone really happy...but it's not going to be me."you answer.

"Why don't you like me back Y/N? At least tell me that."

Kai fiddled with his fingers as you spoke.

"I see you as one of my closest friends. No, you're my best friend. You're someone I want by my side during hardships...but if I were to choose between you and my mission..."

You pause and pull Kai into a tight hug. Kai hugged you back and you felt your tears drench his red shirt.

"I wouldn't know what to do...I would choke up and risk your life and the others around me. I just can't deal with the guilt...I'm sorry."

You couldn't stop crying. You would love to be in a relationship. But it was just too dangerous. Too much was on the line. Your hand grasped the door handle and felt another placed onto your own.

"I understand."said Kai.

His emotions was nearly unreadable when he said that. You started to feel awkward. Was this the end of your friendship? Would this small encounter just ruin everything between you two?

"That wasn't the worse rejection I've ever experienced."he smiles.

You smile back and turn the knob. He understood, and you walked out with no regrets.