two

Connor's POV

September 12, 2009

"Happy birthday, Connor!"

I groaned and rolled over, trying to block my ears with my pillow. I closed my eyes again and tried to go back to sleep. Just as I could feel myself dozing off, I felt the weight in my bed shifted. I screamed into my pillow and looked up to see who it was. I was met with my younger brother's cheeky grin. Sometimes Brandon could be the cutest little munchkin on this planet, but other times I just wanted to personally escort him to the pits of hell. This was one of those times.

"What do you want?" I complained, resting my head back down.

"Don't tell me you forgot your own birthday." Brandon said, giving me the "are you serious" look.

"It's just my 17th. Wake me up again in one year when I can get a tattoo or something." I closed my eyes and tried to prevent any further social interaction. I felt my bed puff up again and heard the sound of footsteps get softer and softer. I sighed in relief, knowing I could finally get the sleep I deserved-

"Connor Joel Franta! It's your birthday, so get your butt out of bed and get downstairs."

I let out a loud yell, knowing I couldn't argue with my mum, especially when she used my full name. I shot out of bed and spread out my arms like a starfish.

"Here. I'm out of bed. Happy now?"

"Very. Happy birthday." My mum said, kissing the top of my head, while I hugged her back. "So what are your plans for today?"

"I think I might just hang out with Troye. I'll text him now." I replied, reaching for my phone, as my mum left my room. Troye and I had grown very close in the past 7 months, to the point where I considered him my best friend. But of course, how could I not want more? How could I not want to be held in the arms of the beautiful blue eyed boy who was on my mind 24/7?

To: Troye Boy

Wanna hang out later? :)

I put down my phone, heading down the hall to the bathroom. I brushed my teeth, styled my hair, and changed into my favourite sweater and skinny jeans. I walked back to my room, seeing a text notification on my phone. I opened it.

From: Troye Boy

Happy birthday, Con da bon! and sure :) What time and where?

To: Troye Boy

Just meet me at the ice cream parlor in 1 hr :)

From: Troye Boy

Ok. Can't wait :)

Neither can I, Troye. Neither can I.

---

I fiddled with my phone, waiting for Troye to come. I leaned forward onto my elbows, tracing words on the table. Troye Franta. Connor Mellet. Connor and Troye. Troye and Con-

"Watcha drawing?" I heard a voice behind me, sending chills down my spine. I turned around to see that cute smile that belonged to Troye Mellet.

"N-nothing." I stuttered, feeling my face heat up. After so long of being friends, I still got nervous every time I saw him.

"Sure... Anyways, happy birthday, Con da bon!" Troye exclaimed, throwing his arms around me. I wrapped my arms around his waist, wishing we could stay like this forever. I felt cold as Troye pulled away, excited and ready to order his ice cream. I smiled at his innocence before I felt a pang in my heart. Why couldn't Troye act like that, excited, whenever he saw me? Why did I always have hopeless crushes on random guys who would never like me back? Except Troye wasn't any random guy. He was my best friend.

And that was all he would ever be.

---

After we got our ice creams, we sat down in a booth in the corner of the parlor. We chatted and laughed, but there was always that thought eating away at me.

Just tell him. Tell him how you feel. Tell him how he makes you feel.

"Troye," I began, at the same time he said my name. I decided to stall for time and let him talk. "You first."

"You see, I need your help. There's this boy I really, really like, but I don't think he feels the same way at all. But I know I'm sure of my feelings because when I first moved here, he was so welcoming and lovely to me and I started to feel something towards him and I don't know what to do. I just want him to know that I like him, but I don't want to embarrass myself, which I know will probably happen." He took a deep breath, obviously feeling relieved for getting that weight off his shoulders.

My heart sunk like the Titanic. I looked down, trying not to show any reaction of sadness on my face. Just as I was about to tell him I liked him. I cared for Troye a lot, which also meant that I wanted to see him happy. I sighed, plastering on a fake smile.

"Troye, I can see you like this boy a lot. So I'm going to give you really cheesy advice, but it's true. Just be yourself. He should accept you for you and nothing else."

"Thanks, Con. I just- this boy makes me feel so happy." He smiled, dreamily.

I smiled, but it didn't reach my eyes. The boy of my dreams had a boy on his mind who wasn't me.

"Who is it?"

"W-what?" Troye's eyes widened.

"Who is it?" I repeated.

"His name s-starts with a C?"

"Gee, that really helps. Just tell me!" I didn't want to be pushy, but I needed to know.

"It e-ends with an R..." His voice trailed off.

It hit me. There was literally only one person I knew who fit those clues.

"Oh my God, Troye. You like Caspar Lee!" I tried to show the excitement on my face, when all I could feel on the inside was hurt.

"What? No!" Troye exclaimed.

"Of course..." I nudged him suggestively.

"No, seriously it's not him." He looked down, suddenly very interested in the half-eaten ice cream cone in his hand.

"Then who is it?"

I tried coming up with other guys from our school, but failed. There were no other boys who had those particular letters in their name. But there was one person I had forgotten. The realisation hit me like a tsunami. I widened my eyes and looked at Troye. There was no way. It couldn't possibly be...

"Me." I squeaked out.

Troye didn't say anything. He just nodded and looked at me. My mouth hung open, as I stared right back at him. He pursed his lips.

"See, now I've made things awkward and ruined our friendship. I shouldn't have said anything." He started to stand up and leave, before he turned around suddenly. "Wait. Weren't you about to tell me something, too?"

I nodded, smiling widely.

"Why are you smiling like that?" He asked, gesturing at my grin.

"I think you might want to sit down." He did as I said, not taking his eyes off me. "I was going to tell you."

"Tell me what?"

"Th-that I feel the same. I really like you, Troye."

"You d-do?"

I nodded, as a smile broke out on Troye's face. I felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders, and I could tell Troye felt the same. We were both too shocked to say anything, so we just hugged.

I felt like we could stay this way forever.

~~~

1268 words!!! The other chapters probably won't be as long as this one, unless you guys want them to be..? I honestly don't feel like I could write long chapters like these again, but we'll see :)

Hope you're all having a great day! Feel free to talk to me on my:

Instagram: vintagetronnor