six

Connor's POV

The next few days went by in a blur. Everyday at work was painful, having to see Troye and him just seeing me as a workmate.

Today was probably going to be one of those days again. I sighed, adjusting the grey beanie on my head. I grabbed my stuff and drove to work.

I walked in to see Bethany laughing at something Troye said. I wish I could have heard what it was - Troye had always been a funny person. I remembered my vow to myself about forgetting all those memories of Troye and took a deep breath.

I can do this. He could do it, so can you.

I put on a smile and walked up to the two of them. I said a quick "hi" to both of them and got to work. I looked to my right to see Bethany give me a concerned look, to which I responded with a reassuring smile.

She nodded. "Hey Con, there's not much to do out front, so could you help make the pies, please?"

"Yeah, sure." I replied, putting on an apron.

"Also, Troye, could you start with the muffins?"

"Of course." He said, looking at me.

I frowned. That meant that Troye and I would be in the kitchen together. Alone. I glanced at Beth, only to see her already looking at me, with a knowing smile on her face. I rolled my eyes playfully and went through the doors to the kitchen, Troye following me.

---

1 hour later, we had our third batch of muffins and pies in the oven.

Troye and I talked, but only as if we were acquaintances. I didn't say anything about my past, and I didn't ask him about his. Not that I didn't already know practically everything about him. I hated that I was so affected and so fragile about this, but I couldn't help it. It hurt me too much. He hurt me too much.

All of a sudden, I heard the ring of someone's phone go off. I knew it wasn't mine - I always put mine on silent at work. I looked over at Troye and watched as he took his phone out of his pocket. He opened his messages and silently scrolled.

I kept adding ingredients to my bowl, giving him privacy.

After a few minutes of silence, I looked over to see tears in his eyes.

"Troye, you okay?" I asked, worried something bad had happened.

"Yeah. It's just, it was my sister's ball back home in New York today. My mum sent me a photo of her in her dress and she looked absolutely gorgeous. I'm just sad I couldn't be there to see her in person." Troye smiled.

"Sage." I said, remembering Troye's younger sister and thinking about how beautiful she really must have looked.

"What?" Troye's head shot up from his phone.

"What?" I asked, confused.

"You said Sage. That's my sister's name. Do you know her?" Troye asked, just as confused as I was.

My eyes widened.

Shit. How was I going to get out of this one?

"Uh, what? I meant pass the s-sage?" It came out like a question. I mentally slapped myself for being so careless.

"Okay... It's in the supply room, though." Troye said, giving me one last look before heading over to the oven.

I hurried out of the kitchen and into the back room. I let out an exhale. I really needed to be more careful if I didn't want Troye to find out who I actually was.

I quickly grabbed a small bottle of sage, which I realised that I actually did need, and walked back to the kitchen.

"Oh yeah. By the way, Connor, can I get your number? Just in case I ever need to contact you?" Troye asked, as soon as I walked in.

I smiled. That was exactly what Troye had said to me on his first day of school.

"Just in case I ever need to contact you."

We hadn't known then that we would have become boyfriends and dated. And we certainly didn't see ourselves where we were now - strangers who just so happened to work together.

"Yeah, sure. Just give me your phone and I'll key it in." I said, taking my phone out too. "Here, put yours on mine too."

We swapped phones and entered our numbers. As we returned our phones to each other, I noticed that Troye had left the contact name bar blank. Because of muscle memory, I immediately typed in Troye Boy. My thumb hovered over the screen.

After 20 seconds of thinking, I decided to hit backspace on the word 'boy', leaving the contact name as Troye.

~~~

Hey guys! Sorry for such a short chapter - I just feel like I'm not the kind of person who can go into detail and write about things for a long time...

I'm supposed to be working on my science learning journal thing right now but I can't be bothered so here I am whoops

Hope you're all having a great day! Feel free to talk to me on my:

Instagram: vintagetronnor