nineteen

Connor's POV

"Tyler's cheating on you."

Silence.

Then... Laughter.

"Why are you laughing?" I asked, extremely confused.

Troye continued laughing, wrapping his arms around his stomach.

"No, seriously, what's happening?" I furrowed my eyebrows together, looking at him.

"Is this an April Fool's joke?" Troye chuckled. "Because if it is, you're kind of late, Con. It's December."

(A/N: I now interrupt this fanfic with a small announcement regarding the fact that I have kind of forgotten the timeline of this story so let's just pretend that it is December and Troyler have been together for 5 months-ish? idk lol)

I nearly choked. "What? No, no, no. This isn't a joke."

"Yup, yup. Whatever you say." The sound of Troye's laughter continued filling the room.

"No, I'm being serious." I said, trying to get him to stop laughing.

"You're a pretty good actor, you know."

"I'm not acting!"

Troye winked at me, continuing to laugh. I didn't even know a person was capable of laughing for that long.

I blinked, not knowing what to say.

Until, something changed.

Troye's laughs became shorter, and I saw tears come from his eyes, that couldn't possible be because of laughter.

"Are you crying?" I asked.

He didn't respond, but only put his head in his hands. His whole body was shaking. I hugged him tightly, rubbing small circles on his back.

"Troye, are you okay?" I asked, confused.

Then, it hit me.

September 19th, 2010. When Troye told me he was leaving, and I thought that he was joking. But deep down, I think I had known. I think I had known that something was up - that he was being serious. But I just didn't want to accept it and that's what made it all worse. And that's what was happening to Troye now.

"Tyler's cheating on me." Troye whispered.

I nodded my head, slowly. "Did you know?"

"You know, I think there was always that little part of me that knew something was not right." He said, looking up. "How long have you known?"

"Yesterday."

"When?"

"At the mall, when I went to the toilet. I saw Tyler with another man at the foodcourt and they looked pretty cosy." I said, not wanting to be the person who had to tell Troye this.

"Oh." Troye said, shortly. "Do you know the other man?"

"I had never seen him before." I told him.

"Oh." He repeated. "Is that what you were trying to tell me in the store yesterday? Before Tyler came?"

I nodded. "Yeah..."

"And Tyler came and ruined everything." Troye said, angrily.

I patted his back, lightly. "Are you okay?" I asked.

He didn't answer.

"Are you going to talk to him about it?"

"I'm going to have to eventually, aren't I?" Troye laughed, but it wasn't a happy laugh like before.

I pursed my lips and hesitated for a second. "Well-"

"But why, though?" Troye interrupted. "Why would he cheat on me?"

"I don't kn-" I tried.

"I thought he liked me." He said, clenching his jaw.

"Troye."

"No. Was I not good enough for him? For all I know, he's been seeing this other guy since the day we became a couple." Troye cried. "You know, maybe I'm just so boring and he got so bored of me, he had to find someone else. This is all my fault. Maybe if I hadn't picked up those extra overtime shifts at the coffee shop, I could've spent more time with him and he wouldn't have cheated. I drove him to do this. It's all my fault. I did this to us."

"Don't."

"You know what's worse?" Troye started.

"What?" I was scared to ask.

"I thought I was falling in love. I was actually planning on telling him one day. You know, he's made me the happiest I've ever been in the past six years. And I ruined all that."

"Hey, hey, hey. None of this is your fault. Tyler doesn't deserve you." I comforted him. "The only person here to blame is Tyler. If he can't be loyal to you, then he's got something else coming his way."

"Yeah. Okay, I guess." Troye sniffled and rubbed his nose. "I deserve better than Tyler." He added, quietly but confidently.

"That's better." I smiled.

"Thanks for telling me." Troye blinked. "You're a good friend."

Friend.

"You're a good friend, too." I coughed out. "So, what happens when you talk to him? Are you going to end things?"

"Yeah, better end it now before I change my mind and fall deeper into this mess." Troye sighed.

"Do you need me with you?" I asked.

"Thanks, but I think this is something I need to do on my own." He said.

"Okay, well, you know I'm always here for you." I reassured him.

"Yeah, and I'll be forever grateful for that."

"Forever's a long time, you know." I pointed out.

"Yeah, I know."

---

A couple days later, here I was, sitting on the couch with Troye. He had just broken up with Tyler, and as expected, was heartbroken as hell.

There was that tiny voice in the back of my mind, telling me that I should be happy that Troye was now single and I could have him all to myself. I pushed it down, telling myself that not everything was about me. Right now, it was about Troye, and making him feel better.

After we finished our third chick flick for the day, I stood up to get another tub of Ben and Jerry's ice cream from the kitchen, when the doorbell rang.

I frowned. "Are you expecting anyone?"

"No, I take it you aren't, either." Troye said. "Could you get it, though? My eyes are really puffy." He laughed, bitterly.

"Yeah, sure." I walked to the front door and opened it.

I was met with a furious face, which belonged to the one and only, Tyler Oakley.

I started to close the door, not wanting to hear what he had to say, especially while Troye was here in my apartment. He stuck his foot out, blocking the door. I opened it a tiny bit again, looking him square in the eye.

I crossed my arms. "What do you want?"

Tyler didn't answer. He just took a deep breath and put his hands on his hips.

"What do you want?" I repeated, impatiently.

"I thought you were my friend."

~~~

Hey guys!

Surprisingly, I've been writing quite a lot since I arrived in Japan - I've already written like 4 chapters so I might update more frequently? Maybe not idk

Oh yes one more thing - I changed my wattpad username to @/vintagetronnor so it would match my Instagram (go follow me pls im a thirsty butt)

Hope you're all having a great day! Feel free to talk to me on my:

Instagram: vintagetronnor