twenty-four

Connor's POV

"Was that Troye Mellet I saw before?"

I looked up from the delicious-looking hospital food in front of me and stared at my mum.

"Um, yeah." I said, quietly. "He moved back here earlier this year."

"That's nice." Dad smiled. "Are you two back together?"

"H-he," I stuttered. "He doesn't remember me."

Mum gasped. "What?"

"He doesn't know that I'm Connor Franta. He just thinks I'm Connor J-Joel." I mumbled.

"Why haven't you told him it's you, then?" Dad asked.

"Well, so many great things have happened since Troye left, like meeting Bethany. And I thought he forgot about me because I wasn't important to him or anything. There were a couple times when I was about to tell him, but I was interrupted or I chickened out. I don't know if I'm ever going to tell him. I mean, maybe this is the universe trying to tell me that I can start over and make Troye love me again. This is me now and I've changed from that scared 17 year old. If there's any 'me' I want Troye to remember, it's the me now." I explained.

Mum and Dad nodded, starting to understand.

"As long as you're doing what you think is right." Mum said.

I nodded back, before going back to my food.

"I'm sure you can find a way to make him love you again. I mean, you're the kindest, most selfless person I know. You being in hospital right now proves that." She said, tearing up.

"Thanks, Mum. Please don't cry, or I'll start crying, too." I laughed.

Dad chuckled and continued eating.

As I picked up my fork, I made myself a promise, that I would never, ever, ever tell Troye Mellet that I was Connor Franta.

---

4 weeks managed to fly by, and I was recovering quicker than the doctors expected, which allowed me to be discharged from hospital early.

"Okay, Connor." Dr. Lee said. "Now, you're recovering very well, which means you won't need a wheelchair. However, you'll need lots of rest and support, and make sure you don't do any physical activity for at least 8 weeks."

I giggled, quietly. As if I actually did any physical activity, anyway.

I nodded.

"Your friend, Troye, has offered to take you home and look after you. I've given him all your pain relief and medication, so you don't need to worry about all that." He explained.

Troye? I frowned, confused. Why would he offer? Weren't things supposed to be really awkward between us? Maybe this was him trying to say that he was moving on and putting everything behind us. I shrugged, deciding that I would have to do the same. Not that I was complaining or anything - this was my chance to spend lots of time with Troye.

"Oh, okay." I said, grinning slightly.

"And if you feel any extreme pain or run out of medicine, don't be afraid to come back here and look for me." He reminded.

"Yep, okay." I replied.

"I'll just sign you off and then you can go." He said, helping me stand up.

"Thank you." I smiled, packing up my stuff.

Dr. Lee smiled back, before walking away.

"Wait, Dr. Lee?" I asked, suddenly remembering something important.