seven

Connor's POV

"That would be $8.90, thank you." I smiled at the customer I was serving.

She reached into her purse, handing me a $10.

I gave her her change and table number. She smiled and seated herself at an empty table in the corner of the shop.

Bethany was in charge of waiting on tables today, so I was free at the counter. I traced the lines of paint on the countertop, thinking back to that day in the ice cream parlor. I could still remember tracing Troye's name and my name like it was yesterday.

I couldn't say I didn't still love Troye, because I did. But loving was so much less painful when I knew that he felt the same. Now I couldn't even show my feelings at all.

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of my name.

"Hey, Connie!" I looked up to see my friend, Tyler walk - rather extravagantly - into the shop.

Everyone at neighboring tables looked up, shook their heads and went back to their conversation.

I chuckled. "Hey, Ty. How are you?"

"I'm good, thanks." He replied.

After a few moments of silence, he pouted and whined.

"Connnn, I'm bored. Just tell Bethany you've got somewhere to be and let's go somewhere."

I rolled my eyes. "I would love to, Ty, but I'm working."

"Like, I said, just tell Bethany you- Woah. Who's that?" I frowned, following Tyler's gaze, which landed on Troye.

"He just started working here. Why?" I asked.

"He's cute. But at the same time, he's kind of hot. How does he do it?"

I wanted to yell at Tyler, saying that there was more to Troye than just his looks. But, of course, I didn't. Being the nice person I was, there was only really one thing I could do in this situation.

"Fine, I'll introduce you." I rolled my eyes again, as Tyler clapped, excitedly. "Troye?"

"Yeah?"

"Could you come here for a second? There's someone I want you to meet." I beckoned for him to come.

He did as I said, glancing at Tyler, then looking back at me. "Who's this?"

"This is Tyler, one of my friends." I said.

"Best friends." Tyler said, raising an eyebrow at me.

"Okay, fine. He's one of my best friends." I rolled my eyes for what must have been the millionth time today.

"Oh cool. Hey, Tyler. I'm Troye. With an 'e'." Troye said, extending out a hand for Tyler to shake.

Tyler gladly accepted it. "With an 'e'? Then wouldn't it be Trey?"

Troye laughed. "No, it's like T-r-o-y-e."

"Oh... That makes more sense." Tyler smiled.

As they shook hands, I could feel the jealousy course through my veins. I knew Troye and I were no longer in a relationship, but that didn't mean I didn't want Troye to go meeting other guys. Even if that other guy was one of my best friends.

I cleared my throat and they let go of each other's hands.

"Well, it was nice to meet you, Tyler." Troye grinned, walking back to the kitchen.

I watched Troye as he went. It was true - he was cute and hot at the same time. But he was also really sweet and I think that was truly amazing. I sighed, smiling.

I turned back around, to see Tyler looking at me with raised eyebrows. "What was that?"

"What was what?" I asked, confused.

"That. That look." Tyler looked at me like I was dumb.

"What look?" I knew what he was talking about, but I didn't want to admit to anything just yet.

"That look you just gave Troye."

"I didn't give him any look. I don't know what you're talking about." I furrowed my eyebrows together.

"Yes, you do, Con. Don't bother deny it. You have a thing for Troye." Tyler said, giving me a knowing smile.

"Um... No, I don't." I turned around, pretending to make a coffee, so Tyler couldn't see my face.

"Yep, whatever you say."

"I don't even know him that well." I lied.

"Yeah, so maybe you only met him like last week or whatever, but still. It could turn into something." Tyler shrugged.

"Tyler, stop. It's nothing. I don't like Troye like that." It pained me to have to lie like this, but I had to.

"Okay, fine. So you won't mind if I steal him away one day?"

"Do whatever you want. It doesn't affect me." With my back still turned to Tyler, I shut my eyes tightly and curled my fingers into a fist. Right now, I wished more than anything to be able to tell Troye that it was me. But I couldn't. Because of Troye leaving me, so many great things had happened in my life. Revealing my secret could be what ruined everything.

"Okay cool. So you really, 100%, don't feel anything towards Troye?" Tyler asked one more time.

"No. Nothing." I said.

If only he really knew.

~~~

Okay Tyler is gonna be quite important in this fanfic so yeah

I've got homework to do right now but I really cannot be bothered to so I'm just gonna go on Instagram and Tumblr because logic

Hope you're all having a great day! Feel free to talk to me on my:

Instagram: vintagetronnor