sixteen

Connor's POV

"Okay, are you going to tell me what's going on?"

I turned around, to see Bethany with her hands on her hips, looking at me, expectantly.

"What?" I asked, knowing exactly what she was talking about. She was my best friend, after all.

"Don't act like you don't know." She said, with raised eyebrows.

"I don't." I said, continuing to rummage around the storage room.

Bethany sighed. "Funny. He said the exact same thing as you when I asked him."

"Who?" I asked, looking up.

"Con, just stop. I know you know what I'm talking about. What did you say to Troye?"

I frowned. "Why do you automatically assume I did something wrong? How do you know I'm the one who's in the wrong?"

"That's the thing - I don't. But if you told me what happened between you two, maybe I could understand and help you." Bethany said, putting a hand on my shoulder.

I sighed. "I screwed up." I said, putting my head in my hands.

"How?" Bethany asked. Her eyes widened. "Did you tell him it was you?"

I lifted my head. "No. But... w-we kissed."

Bethany gasped, before jumping up and down. "Connor, that's great! Why are you so unhappy, then?"

"Because..." I trailed off.

"Why? Isn't this what you wanted? Maybe now that you've kissed, you can tell him it's you, and you can go back to the way things were." Bethany suggested.

"No, it's just- it's too late for that now. Besides, he's got Tyler." I said, looking away.

"Oh, what? I thought that was kind of just a casual fling-thing." Bethany said.

"Nah, it's legit. He's going on another date tonight, actually." I told her, bitterly.

"Oh, Con. I'm so, so sorry." She said. "How did you feel? When you guys kissed, I mean."

"Like he had never left. Like he was still mine."

She smiled sadly, wrapping her arms around me. "Don't worry, I'll sort this out."

"What are you going to do?"

"I can't make him fall in love with you, but I can try make you guys friends again." Bethany offered.

"Thank you, Bethers. I don't know what I'd do without you. I love you so much." I said, nearly tearing up.

"It's okay, Connie. I love you, too." She grabbed my arm, pulling me behind her, while she went to go find Troye. We spotted him across the coffee shop.

"Hey, Troye! Come here for a second." Bethany called.

Troye walked over, not once looking at me. "What's up?"

"You guys are going in the back room right now, and you are going to talk to each other. You're not coming out until you have sorted out every problem between you." Bethany said, firmly.

I said nothing, shooting a quick glance at Troye, who had a shocked look on his face.

"I can't. My shift finishes soon and I've got a date with Tyler later." Troye argued.

"Then you had better get in there and talk it out quickly, hadn't you?"

Troye's shoulders slumped, before sighing and storming off to the back room.

Did he really hate me that much right now?

I shot a look at Bethany, who had already turned away and was working.

I followed Troye into the back room, closing the door behind me.

We just stood there, staring at anywhere and everywhere, but each other. I sat down, against the wall, still not looking at Troye. He did the same on the opposite side of the room, examining his fingers.

It was obvious he wasn't going to start talking any time soon, so I spoke. "Look."

"Okay." Troye said, at the same time.

He gestured for me to speak first , so I did. "I get that you don't want to talk about it. Neither do I. But I really want to get out of here, so let's just get it over and done with."

"Fine." Troye started. "It was a mistake. It was never meant to happen."

I looked away. So that's what he really thought. Kissing me was just a mistake.

"Y-yeah. I agree." I lied.

"Okay, good. Now that's sorted. I didn't want you getting the wrong idea or anything." Troye said, without a smile on his face.

"Why do you hate me, then?" I asked, needing to know.

"I don't hate you." Troye frowned.

"You're angry." I shot back.

"I'm not."

"Yes, you are."

"No, I'm not."

"Yes, you are. And I want to know why."

"You want to know why?" Troye snapped.

I nodded, stunned by the sudden outburst.

"Because I fucking liked it!" Troye yelled. "I liked kissing you. But it was just a spur of the moment thing and it's never going to happen again."

My heart sped up, to the point where I didn't even know if it was beating or not. I didn't know if I was supposed to be feeling happy that he liked it, or sad that it was just a mistake to him.

"Oh." I said.

"Yeah." He said, calming down. "Besides, I've got Tyler now. And he's pretty amazing. Yes, I do like you, but it's only as a friend. I don't know, maybe one day, it could be more, but I liked Tyler first and I want to see how that turns out. I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong idea."

I nearly scoffed at how he thought Tyler was there first for him, but I didn't. This was his choice. And he hadn't chosen me.

"I really hope we can go back to what we were before. Can we just not play this out to be such a big deal? And maybe not tell Tyler?" He asked.

"Yeah, sure." I mumbled.

"Friends?" Troye said, standing up and extending out a hand.

"Friends." I agreed, taking his hand.

Friendzoned again.

"Great. That's fixed." Troye smiled, walking out of the room.

"Yep." I whispered. "Everything's fixed now."

Yet, there would always be something broken between us.

~~~

Hey guys! 

TOMORROW THE PRESALE FOR TROYES AUS/NZ TOUR GOES UP AND IM GOING FOR VIP BUT IDK IF I CAN GET ANY BUT HOPEFULLY I CAN IM SO EXCITED ASDFGHJKL ACTUALLY ILL BE AT SCHOOL BECAUSE THEY GO UP AT 2PM SO IM RELYING ON MY MUM AND DAD AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Hope you're all having a great day! Feel free to talk to me on my:

Instagram: vintagetronnor