eight

Connor's POV

Over the span over a few days, Troye and I had progressed from workmates to friends. Nowhere near best friends, but, still, friends. And I was proud of myself, because I somehow managed not to feel too upset whenever he mentioned us being 'just friends'.

The same applied with Troye and Tyler. The two of them had grown closer. Not by a lot, but still noticeably closer. I swear my heart was already numb to all the pain and I was immune to everything that came my way.

I looked out the window, my eyes suddenly focused on the beautiful sunrise outside. I gasped and grabbed my phone as quickly as possible. I probably took around 20 photos before I finally snapped the perfect one. I closed my camera and opened the Instagram app.

After messing around with filters and finally settling with one, I typed in a quick, cryptic caption and clicked "share". I put my phone on my bedside table, before lying down on my bed.

Literally five seconds passed before I heard the ringtone of my phone go off. I groaned and sat up, grabbing my phone. I looked to see who was calling, only to see it was Troye.

"Hey." I said.

"Hey, I saw you posted on Instagram so I thought I'd call you and see what you were doing." He answered.

I frowned. "I literally just posted that photo. How did you... Do you have me on post notifications?"

"What? No." Troye laughed. "But seriously, your photography skills are amazing. It's very, you know, 'aesthetic'."

My heart fluttered. "Thanks, Troye."

"Hey, so do you wanna hang out at the beach?" Troye suddenly asked.

Funnily enough, those were the exact words Troye said to me before our very first date. I closed my eyes, thankful he couldn't see my pain through the phone. Forget what I said about my heart being numb, it still hurt like hell.

"Yeah." My voice cracked. I started again. "Yeah, sure. When?"

"Um... Just meet me there in 30 minutes." He said.

"Okay, see you later." I replied, hanging up.

---

(A/N) Just so it's not too confusing while you're reading this, the lines in italics are the things that happened on their first date.

---

As we planned, Troye and I met up exactly 30 minutes later.

"Hey." He waved. "How are you?"

You look amazing.

"Hey, I'm good." I waved back.

Thanks, Tro. You look amazing, too.

"So, what's up?" I asked.

"Nothing much, really. I was just bored and needed something to do." Troye shrugged.

We walked down the beach, the sand hot under our feet.

"Tell me about yourself, Connor. I mean, we work together, so I feel like I should know more about you." Troye said.

So, how is my beautiful boyfriend?

"Well, what do you want to know?" I asked.

If you mean me, I'm good. Great actually, now that I'm here with you.

"Everything. Your likes, dislikes, hobbies, about your friends and family, your past."

I cringed at the last two. There was no way I would tell him about them.

"Well, I mean, I love coffee and cats. And I love photography, so it means a lot that you like my photos." I smiled.

Look at you, Con da bon. Being all romantic and shit. But I'm happy I'm here with you, too.

"They are pretty amazing. So, have you been in Los Angeles your whole life?" Troye asked.

"Yeah. What about you?" I asked, even though I already knew the answer. (A/N) For the sake of this fanfic, LA is Connor's hometown.

"I used to live in Australia, until I was 16 and my dad got a work transfer here. And then around two years later, I moved to New York because of another work transfer. And now we moved back here. Because of another work transfer. I know, my dad gets transferred a lot." He laughed drily.

I'm so glad I moved here from Australia. I mean, I love Perth and I miss everything there, but I would never have met you.

I clenched my jaw, trying hard not to think back to that dreaded day. "Do you ever wish you had just stayed in Perth?"

Troye stopped walking and turned to look at me. He frowned. "I never said I was from Perth. I am, but how did you know?"

Why? Why did I always have to say things without thinking?

"Wh-what? Oh, I was just guessing because I feel like all the down-to-earth people are from Perth. I'm a pretty good guesser, wouldn't you say?"

My heart pounded, hoping he wouldn't read too much into this.

"Yeah. You're pretty good." Troye said, carefully.

Good save, Con. Good save. I mentally gave myself a pat on the back.

"Anyway, you never answered my question." I said, trying to change the subject quickly.

"Oh yeah. I mean, I hated having to leave my home and friends, but, you know, I couldn't do anything about it." Troye said, smiling sadly.

I'm glad I met you too, Troye boy.

"What about those two years you spent here in LA? Did you like it so much you needed to come back, what, six years later?" I joked.

"Even though it was only two years, I actually found LA quite comforting and much like home. I was really excited to come back here after New York. I mean, New York was great, but it wasn't like LA." He said.

Do you ever think about what might have happened if your dad hadn't gotten that first work transfer to here?

I nodded, hoping he was excited to return to LA for me. Nah. If that really was the case, he would have remembered me the moment he saw me.

I would still always have feelings for Troye - nothing would ever change that. But he obviously didn't feel the same way anymore, so there was no use for me to stick around, waiting for him to come back to me.

Yeah. And I don't like it.

It was at this moment, that I realised that I needed to move on. And I didn't like it.

~~~

Exactly 1000 words woohoo but now because of this author's note, it's gonna become some odd number but just deal with it :P

Most of you are probably on spring break now so I hope you're all having fun, whether you're actually doing something outside or if you're more like me and just spend your time on social media all day while eating food...

I've got a maths test next week and I'm really not looking forward to it at all... ewwww 

Oh yeah btw I'm going away for the weekend for Easter break, so I won't be really active on Instagram for those two days, but I'll be writing so prepare for an update when I get back :)

Hope you're all having a great day! Feel free to talk to me on my:

Instagram: vintagetronnor