thirty-three

Connor's POV

As soon as I heard the door click open, I sat up, wiped the tears off my face, and watched as Troye walked into the room, without saying a word. He sighed and took a seat on the couch next to me, but not close enough to be able to say we were cuddling.

"I'm sorry for the way I acted before." He said first, quietly.

"It's okay." I said, honestly. "But I'm worried about you. Has something happened? Did I do something?"

"No, it's nothing you did." He replied, after a short moment of hesitation. "Just family things. Don't worry about it."

"Are you sure? It's obviously stressing you out." I said, concerned. "You can talk to me about anything, you know."

He coughed a couple times, and it almost sounded like he was trying to cover up something, like a scoff. I decided to ignore it, as he nodded, slowly. "I know."

"Okay." I smiled, slightly.

"And, you know, the same applies to you. You can talk to me about anything, too." He said, almost expectantly.

"I-I know." I nodded. "But, I'm an open book."

His eyes glazed over, and I was met with the same, hard eyes as before. After a short while, they softened again and I spoke.

"Are you sure you're okay? You're acting a little weirdly." I said, confused. I couldn't help, but feel as if Troye was angry at me.

"Yeah, I'm fine." He said, reaching into his pocket. "Here's your wallet, by the way."

I took it and smiled. "Thanks. I thought I left it here."

"Yeah, you left it on the bedside table." He replied, avoiding eye contact.

"Troye-" I started.

"I'm a bit tired from running around all day. I think I might go lie down." He interrupted, standing up. "I'll see you later."

He walked into his room and shut the door.

"O-okay." I said, quietly.

No matter how many times he said he was okay, I knew him well enough to know that he wasn't.

I looked around the empty living room and sighed.

What was going on?

---

Troye's POV

"Hello?" She picked up on the third ring.

"Hi, Kay." I said.

"Oh, hey, Troye. I really need to save your number." She laughed. "Anyway, what's up? I thought you would be taking a nap by now."

I looked up at the closed door of my bedroom, hoping Connor wasn't standing right outside.

"Um, yeah. That's what I thought, too." I replied.

"Hey, are you okay? What's wrong?" She asked, immediately sensing something was wrong.

"It's kind of complicated, but I just found out that my Connor now is my old Connor." I replied, quietly.

"Wait, what?" She asked, surprised. "What do you mean?"

"I don't know." I said. "I mean, I came home before him and found his wallet in my room. Then, I accidentally dropped it on the ground and some stuff came out. One of which was a photo."

"I'm guessing it was a pretty important photo?" She guessed.

"Yeah, it was of the two of us back in 2009, just after we confessed our feelings for each other." I explained.

"Aw..." She gushed. "That's so cute how he still has it after all this time."

"Yeah." I smiled a little, before remembering the situation I was in. "At first, I was extremely confused, but then I remembered that there had been so many signs that it was him, but I was just too caught up in myself to notice."

"I see." She said. "Well, you weren't too caught up in yourself. You were too caught up in your current Connor to realise who he really is."

"Yeah, maybe. But that still doesn't excuse the fact that I was really ignorant. Or maybe it was because I was his first love, but he wasn't mine." I said, painfully. "Maybe I didn't need him as much as he needed me."

"No, Troye, you can't think like that." She told me. "Even though I wasn't there when you two were together originally, I knew, for a fact, that he meant the world to you. And he still does."

My eyes teared up for the millionth time today. "Th-thanks."

"Does he know that you know?" She asked.

I shook my head, before remembering she couldn't see through the phone. "No."

"Are you going to talk to him about it?"

After a moment of hesitation, I whispered, "No."

"Why not?"

"Because I need to know why he never told me." I answered.

"Don't you think he'd tell you if you just asked him?" She pointed out.

"Maybe." I said. "But I just want to pretend like everything's normal, then see if he says anything more."

"If you want my opinion, I think you should sit down with him and talk to him about it, but you do whatever you want." She said.

I sighed. "Fine. Maybe I'll talk to him about it one day, but I'm going to leave it for now. Well, not leave it, as such, but wait for him to come to me."

"Okay, if that's what you think is best." She said.

"It is." I confirmed.

"Okay, so is he at home, too, or is he out?" She asked.

I looked at the bedroom door again. "He's in the living room and I'm in my room. I kind of walked out on him."

"Troye!" She said, sighing. "If you want to pretend everything's normal, you're going to have to act normal. There's no doubt that he's out there wondering what's the matter with you."

"Yeah, I know. But we were talking about secrets and keeping things to ourselves, and I kind of just couldn't handle it. But, fine. I'll go out and convince him nothing's wrong." I sighed.

"You do realise that you keeping that fact that you know who he really is to yourself is just as bad as him not telling you who he really is, right?"

"I mean, yes. But, I said I'd talk to him eventually, you know?"

I heard a quiet knock on the other end of the line, followed with footsteps.

"Look, room service just came with dinner, so I need to go, but I'm trusting that you'll do the right thing when the time comes, okay?" She said.

"Of course. Bye, Kay." I said, wiping away my tears.

"Bye." She replied, before hanging up.

I lowered my hand from my ear, slowly, and stood up. I took a quick glance at my reflection in the mirror, making sure my tears were gone.

"I can do this. Just act normal." I whispered to myself, before walking out of my room.

~~~

Hey guys! I'm sorry for the inconsistent updating - it's probably going to be once a week until school becomes less stressful. Things should start to relax more in around 3-4 weeks, but then again, the fanfic's probably gonna end in around that time lol

Also, you guys have absolutely no idea how happy I am right now because around 2-3 weeks ago, I found a song that I have been looking for for almost 3 MONTHS. It's called Whisper of Hope by Gothic Storm (i'm sure some of you will definitely recognise it when you hear it) but I've been listening to it nonstop for the past couple weeks and it just makes me feel so emotional

Also also, PE is annoying me at school, but then again, when is it not

Hope you're all having a great day! Feel free to talk to me on my:

Instagram: vintagetronnor