twenty-nine

Connor's POV

"What is going on here?"

I turned around, immediately recognising the voice. Every inch of me was telling me to just walk away, but I couldn't.

"I said, what is going on here?" Tyler repeated, angrily.

"Tyler-" Troye started.

"Are you two dating?" He asked.

I looked at Troye and nodded, slowly. "Yes."

"Since when?" He demanded.

"A few weeks." Troye replied, looking down.

"And you never told me?" Tyler asked, raising his voice.

"Can we just sit down and talk about this?" I asked, calmly, even though I didn't really feel like having a conversation with him. But, I couldn't just let him ruin our date, so I had to go through with it.

"Why didn't you tell me?" He was practically yelling now. Luckily, all the arcade noises were drowning out his voice.

"Because we knew you'd react just like this!" I said, getting frustrated.

"Let's just go somewhere quiet and talk." Troye suggested.

"Fine." Tyler said, storming out.

Troye looked at me, giving me a reassuring smile. He grabbed my hand and squeezed it lightly, before we followed Tyler out of the arcade. He led us into a small cafe, sitting down at a table.

"We've already eaten." I said, taking a seat.

"And? I don't care. We're just here to talk, aren't we?" He replied, crossly.

"Why are you so angry?" Troye asked, holding my hand under the table.

"Because you guys kept the fact that you were dating from me!" He said, not-so-calmly.

"We kept it from everyone - not just you." I pointed out.

"I had a right to know." He argued.

"We're not dating anymore, Tyler. You need to let go." Troye shot back.

"You." Tyler turned on me, making me feel a little bit scared. "This is all your fault."

"Tyler, it's not his-" Troye tried.

"If you hadn't been so nosy, Troye and I would still be together. But, no, you and your jealousy just had to go butting into our business and ruin it all, didn't you?" He interrupted, looking me square in the eye.

"The only person at fault for us breaking up is you." Troye defended me.

Tyler ignored him and continued speaking. "You said nothing would ever happen between you two. That's what you said. Or were you guys already dating then?"

"Well, things change, Tyler." I said, trying my hardest not to yell. "And we're together now, and we're happy. So, if you could just stay out of it, that would be much appreciated."

"Well, what do you want me to say? Congratulations?" He smirked.

"Come on, Tyler." I sighed. "Can we please just try to be civilised?"

He glared at me. "Fine. Civilised, but not friendly."

I rolled my eyes. "Fine."

We stared at each other, neither of us backing down. The tension was so thick, anyone could've cut it with a knife. I felt as if the whole room was silent, and it was just us two - but not in a good way. Until, Troye spoke up, quietly.

"So, how are you and Korey?"

I looked at him, only to see him stare at Tyler, sadly. I squeezed his hand under the table, as we waited for Tyler's answer.

"Yeah, we're good." He replied, shrugging.

"Good for you." Troye said, looking down.

My heart sunk, as I felt his hand loosen its grip around mine. Of course, he probably still had little inklings of feelings for Tyler, but that didn't stop the jealousy rising within me.

Tyler seemed to sense the change in mood and looked between Troye and I. He gave me a smug look, as if he was proud that he still had a slight effect on Troye.

"Um, Troye and I need to get going." I said, wanting an excuse to get away from Tyler and this awkward conversation.

"Yeah, sorry." Troye said, following my lead and standing up.

Tyler frowned. "Okay, fine. So, are you just going to leave me here?"

"Yeah. Bye." I said, bluntly. I stood up and led Troye out of the cafe.

We turned the corner and sat down at a nearby couch. Troye put his head in his hands and sighed.

"Are you okay?" I asked, rubbing his back.

He turned to me and hugged me, tightly.

"Troye?" I asked, confused.

"I just really wanted to let you know that I really like you. I'm sorry if it didn't show back there." He apologised, sincerely.

I smiled. "It's okay. I know there's a part of you that's still bound to have feelings for Tyler, and that's okay." I lied. But, of course, I knew better than anyone that feelings couldn't be switched off just like that.

He pulled back, and looked at me with a twinkle in his eye. "You're amazing, you know that?"

I looked down, smiling. "Yeah, I've been told."

He laughed. "Thank you for understanding. But, I guess, seeing Tyler just now just made me realise that you're the one for me."

"Really?" I asked. "I think you're the one for me, too."

A grin grew on Troye's face and he hugged me again, but I wasn't complaining. I didn't even care if anyone saw us. It just felt so good to have him in my arms.

"You've always been the one." I whispered, quietly.

---

Troye's POV

"You've always been the one." Connor whispered, barely audible.

I stiffened at his words.

What did he mean by "always"? Maybe he was just talking about how he had liked me when we were just friends. Or maybe he had been lying then - and he had actually had feelings for me long before that.

But that couldn't be it. He was probably just talking about a 'love at first sight' kind of thing.

Because Connor and I had definitely never met before I got the job at the coffee shop.

Right?

~~~

Hey guys! Okay so (not so) funny story: the whole time I've been writing this fanfic, I've always written about 3/4 chapters ahead HOWEVER I have no idea how but I've reached the point where I'm literally writing and updating as I go, so IM SORRY IF UPDATES ARE LATER THAN USUAL FROM NOW ON BUT IM GONNA TRY WRITE HEAPS TONIGHT

Also, so tbh this fanfic is going to be a lot shorter than I had originally planned whoops there's probably only gonna be like 10 more chapters 

Also also today I was knighted with a science resistor so now you may call me 'sir' or anything (i just realised how kinky that may sound even though im a girl anyway never mind)

Hope you're all having a great day! Feel free to talk to me on my:

Instagram: vintagetronnor