the first appointment

zayn•

He helped pull her hair back as she released the contents of her stomach in the toilet bow.

Chiara was eight weeks pregnant and today was her first prenatal appointment. Zayn of course wanted to go to see how their baby was doing, or doing anything at all.

And of course he noticed just slight changes in her appearance. Her breasts were a bit larger and she always held her stomach as if there was a bump there. Dark, but barely noticeable circles placed themselves under her eyes and from time to time, she had to get up to use the restroom.

It was starting, and Zayn had never been more anxious and excited and scared in his whole life.

Chiara was finished vomiting and flushed the toilet, closing the lid and still hunched over.

"Oh my goodness," she huffed, almost sounding like she was crying, "is this gonna be forever?"

"Not forever, Chi," Zayn crouched down and rubbed her back, "but we have to go to the doctors to find out, alright?"

She nodded wordlessly and Zayn helped her stand upright again. Chiara brushed her teeth while Zayn waited by the door, watching her carefully. When she was done, he stood in front of her, wiping her eyes.

"It'll be okay, yeah? I'm right here."

"Thank you," she smiled through the tears and they made their way out of the flat.

•zayn•

Chiara held Zayn's arm the whole time the nurse talked. She was weighed and tested, interrogated and Zayn could tell she was exhausted just from that. The nurse left about ten minutes ago, and now they waited for the doctor.

"I feel so sick," she finally spoke up, "God."

Zayn rubbed her forehead, a concerned look on his face. "Have you eaten today?"

"No, I," she yawned, "I tried and the smell of eggs made me sick and...I'm hungry."

"I figured," he smiled, "when we get out of here, we're going to eat, alright?"

She nodded, closing her eyes just when the doctor walked in.

"Hello!" she chirped, her perfect white teeth showing as she smiled at the two. Her hair was in a tight, curly bun and she wore black heels along with the white lab coat. "I'm Dr. Stork -- great name I know."

Zayn thought about it, and then it clicked. "Oh! It's because the stork...carries the baby...and that's how," he settled down and looked at a giggling Chiara, "do you get it?"

"Yes, I do," she nodded, holding his hand.

Dr. Stork smiled at them both and took a seat on the stool. "Glad to see I can lift your spirits. Get excited! There's a baby coming in a few months."

"She's having a bit of morning sickness," Zayn explained warmly.

"Oh, poor girl. I have a honeybun--"

"If you're offering, I accept," Chi cut in politely, sitting up a little straighter.

"Of course," the doctor opened a drawer and sure enough, she picked out a small honeybun, still in the wrapper, "that'll hold you over until I'm finished."

"Thank you," Chiara took the snack gratefully and opened the rapper. She took a bite and fell back into the seat. "So good."

Zayn chuckled deeply and turned back to the doctor, who was scanning through some papers. She looked up and smiled at them both.

"I see you have no real threats of chronic diseases or anything hereditary," she concluded, "and you're due...August the twenty second, according to your last period."

"Okay," Chiara answered, her mouth stuffed with the sweet bread.

"Now, usually, I don't perform ultrasounds so early in the pregnancy, but I can tell your boyfriend over here needs more than me just telling you stuff."

They both looked at Zayn, who, did not at all notice his leg jumping and the smile spread across his face. It was oddly exciting, besides the circumstance in which he was having a baby. Just...becoming a father made him realize some things.

He was growing up, and he still had a lot of it to do.

"Huh?" he questioned in a daze.

"Zayn, do you want to see the baby?" Chi asked him softly.

"You won't see much, but it's a start," Dr. Stork chimed in.

"Yeah, yeah," he chanted, biting back an even bigger smile, "I want to."

"Okay," she laughed, standing up and grabbing some gel. Chiara held Zayn's hand tighter as she got out the little monitor and the device for the sonogram. "This'll be a little cold--"

Chiara burst into laughter, covering her mouth when the "freezing" cold gel touched her small stomach. "Oh my God!"

Zayn smiled down at her, then looked at the monitor where it showed just a black hole surrounded by a static-like image. The doctor moved the device around some more until there was a rapid -- but very faint -- clicking sound heard.

"Hear that?" Dr. Stork whispered, "it's very faint because it's so early, but that's your baby's heartbeat."

Zayn glanced at her before moving back to the monitor, his heart warming as the thumping sound progressed. "Wow."

"He looks just like you," Chiara told Zayn with a sly smile.

"More like you than anything, Chi," he joked, "he's got your face."

She giggled. "She has your nose."

"It's a boy, Chi."

"Girl."

"Whatever you say," he kissed her hand and the doctor took the device off her belly. She wiped off Chiara's stomach and threw the wipes in the trash.

"Your next appointment won't be for another four weeks," she informed them, "and by then we'll get a clearer image. And if you wanted, I printed out copies of this ultrasound--"

"Yes," Zayn answered to absolutely nothing, just saying yes to whatever she may ask, "I mean, yes, I would like the pictures."

"I figured," she grinned, "I will be back."

"Zayn, you're so jumpy," Chi said when the doctor left, "are you excited?"

"A little--"

"A lottle," she smiled, pulling her shirt down and sat up better, "oddly excited for a scared parent."

"I am," he clarified, "I'm scared, but we got this, yeah?"

Chi smiled back, her lips spreading across her face. "Yeah. Yeah, we got this."

"Because you're not alone, right?"

"No, I'm not," she smiled wider, her nose scrunching, something Zayn just noticed and grew very fond of the moment he saw it, "I'll never be alone."

"As long as you know."

zayn•

hi babies I'm sorry but I'm working on updates now

but was this okay? yes, thanks

love you all xx