the crib

•zayn•

"Chi, calm down, Jesus," Zayn chuckled, holding her hand and walking into the baby store. She was so happy to go, mostly because there was so much stuff to choose from.

She grinned, squeezing his hand and walking in the door first. Zayn grabbed a cart and began pushing alongside her. "Aren't our moms supposed to be here?"

"Yeah, somewhere," Zayn shrugged, "my mum will call, probably, so no worries."

"Yay! Okay, let's go to the blankets," she walked ahead of the cart and down another aisle, "so, I saw this blue one with ducks on it and it's really soft."

"Aww," Zayn grabbed one and felt it, "really cute. I like this one."

"The green one? Ooh."

"But, if we have a baby shower then we can put this stuff on the registry," he said, resting his arm against the cart.

"Oh," she pouted, "well, then, would you rather get the more expensive stuff? Like a crib?"

"Yeah, that's fine."

"Bye blankie," Chi took Zayn's hand and they walked along the other aisles to find cribs. Coincidentally, both of their mothers were in this aisle, looking at a specific crib.

"Hello, mother," Zayn greeted Trisha, who turned around and smiled at them both.

"Oh, honey we were just looking at cribs," Trisha said, "I take that's what you two were doing, also?"

"Yes, ma'am," Chi smiled back, "mom, I know you see me."

Chi's mother looked just like her it was adorable. She had light skin and short curly hair. They had the same little birthmark on their chins and she was just so beautiful.

"I've never met the father, Chi," her voice was so smooth, man, "hi, I'm Kara."

"Zayn," he smiled, shaking her hand, "nice to meet you finally."

"Same. You're taking care of her?"

"Yes, mom," Chi huffed, "now can you acknowledge my presence?"

"Ooh, Chi. Hormonal Chi," she laughed softly, hugging her daughter, "you're okay today?"

"Yes," she groaned, "mom, okay."

Kara still hugged her daughter just to get on her nerves and Zayn snickered, standing beside his mom and looking at the cribs.

"I want you guys to have something sturdy but affordable," she said.

"Well, we saved up enough to where we'd be fine with anything, yeah? We saved for furniture, mostly. Toys are gonna be in the registry."

"I'm proud of you," she kept the same warm smile on her face, "being a man. Taking initiative."

He hated talking to his mom sometimes. Maybe he took it the wrong way, but this whole time he thought he was a grown ass man and he didn't need her approval on the subject.

"I been a man, you just didn't notice," he whispered, careful of Chi and her mom across the aisle and looking at car seats.

"Zayn, you know what I mean," she scoffed, "you never cared for anyone else but yourself--"

"So now I'm selfish?"

"Zayn--"

"Mum, stop," he walked further down to look at nother crib. She of course followed him.

"I didn't even say anything bad."

"Yeah, to you, you didn't. To me, it's the same shit you tell me every time we meet up," he rolled his eyes and read the description of the crib.

"What do I say?"

"Zayn look at this," Chi called to him. He looked at his home one more time before walking over to her.

"What?" he stood behind her and put his hands on her shoulders.

"Ooh, snarky."

Zayn sighed. "Sorry, did you find a car seat?"

"I did. That one," she pointed to one that was just all black, so simple, "it's cute, right?"

"Yeah," he smiled, "there's a crib over there to match--"

"It comes with a diaper bag and can also be a stroller!" She cheered, hugging his side, "I was looking for one like this."

"We might need another cart then. Will it fit?"

"Yeah, I think," she tried lifting the box but Zayn beat her to it, "Zayn!"

"You don't need to lift anything," was all he said, putting the box in the cart, "and the crib?"

"Yeah," she griped.

"Chi, he's right," Kara interjected, "you're getting bigger and you don't need any strain on your body."

She groaned, walking away from them both.

"Where is she going?" Trisha asked.

"She storms off all the time," Zayn replied, setting the crib box down, "I'll go get her, we'll meet you by the armoires."

"Okay."

Zayn followed Chi in the direction she went, which was the little bottles and pacifiers. He saw her biting her lip and staring angrily at the instructions on a breast pump.

"You're going to breastfeed?" he made small talk, only, she didn't want to, "I read up on it and saw it was healthier for babies. All natural and stuff. I think it gets them a jumpstart on walking and talking--"

"Why can't I do anything anymore?" she asked suddenly, staring up at him, "I'm still me, just with a bigger belly and a whole fucking human inside. Doesn't mean I cant do stuff still."

"Chi," Zayn furrowed his brows, "baby, that's just the thing, there's a whole human being in there and he needs as much strength from you as possible. He knows you're strong, I know you're strong. Everyone knows, Chiara."

"But you won't let me do anything--"

"Because first and foremost, you're seven and a half months pregnant and getting bigger by the week. Some things you can't just be doing to do it. And I'm only looking out for you. It doesn't hurt when you bend over?"

"It does sometimes, but--"

"Exactly. And would you risk something happening to him?"

"No," she pouted, "and stop saying him. It's a girl."

"Preposterous," he said dramatically.

"What blasphemy," she joined, hugging him tightly, "thank you."

"No problem, mother Chi."

"I noticed the tension between you and your mother," she told him, "what's up?"

"Sam old shit but a different day, "he looked at the breast pump, "we're getting this?"

"Zayn..."

"No, I was seriously asking. She's a very condescending woman and I'm tired. So tired of it. You know what she said to me?"

"What?"

"I'm proud, you're becoming a man," he mocked and Chi gasped, "haven't I been a man this while time? It doesn't take a genius to stick by the ones you lo--care for. And then she called me selfish. Jesus."

Chiara giggled, holding his hand and carrying the breast pump in her arm. "I can't believe she said that to you, but I promise. You're a man. A real fine specimen of a man."

Zayn grinned. "Yeah?"

"Yeauh," she replied with a breathtaking smile, "a perfect man. Very cute and nice. But a little weird."

"Thank you."

•zayn•

can y'all do me a favor and not take the gender conversations so seriously? thanks