the water

•zayn•

Zayn was busy painting Mecca's new room, the airy and spacious attic.

It was perfect for her because, it just was. There was no way she was going to be in the basement and although there was a small guest room downstairs, neither Chi not Zayn were too keen on keeping a four year old downstairs while they were upstairs.

And the attic hadn't been used that much, a few boxes in the corner and a sort of dusty film in the air was nothing to him. An air purifier was in the corner now, cleaning out any bacteria and contaminants in the room.

Zayn was finishing the brown trim around the room when Chiara walked in. In his peripheral she was scoping out the room, a small smile on her face.

"This looks really good."

And Zayn still wasn't talking to her, hence why he just kept using the small brush to be more precise.

He hadn't talked to her all morning, skipping breakfast and walk straight to the attic to start her room. Literally, Zayn hadn't taken a break since he's been up here, he was too upset with her to say anything.

But he mellowed out some, humming short replies to yes or no questions but other than that, he kept to himself.

"Zayn."

"Hm," he stepped down from the ladder and looked at her.

"I'm sorry."

"Alright," he grabbed the same dark brown paint and stepped onto the ladder again, "I told you not to come up here, Chi."

"And I told you I don't want you mad at me."

"Welp," he made a face at her, "how is that working out for you? The paint fumes are dangerous for you and so are those wretched stairs."

"Well, I'm gonna need help going down so take a break and speak to me," she put her hands on her hips and frowned.

Zayn sighed, getting off the ladder and walking over to her.

"I'm sorry for not listening," she held his hands in hers and looked down, "and I'm sorry for not giving you the right answers, but I just didn't want you worrying too much. You drive yourself crazy over my wellbeing and I say I'm fine just so you don't stress."

"What was wrong with you yesterday?" he asked.

"My shoulder was killing me. Had nothing to do with RyDae."

"Fine," he threaded his fingers through hers and smiled slightly, "seriously, Chi. Just tell me everything."

"Okay."

"'M serious."

"I know," she rolled her eyes.

"Fine," he kissed her forehead and guided her down the steps, "how do you feel today?"

"The same. But Ry feels so heavy. He's dropping."

"I see your face isn't as swollen," Chi took a huge breath when she was at the bottom of the stairs, "how's your blood pressure?"

"I don't know yet, I haven't done it," they walked to the second set of stairs which led to the ground floor and Chi was so over it, "goodness gracious. I love this house but...goodness."

Zayn chuckled, his grip on her hand tightening. "I remember when we first got to know each other and all you said was 'goodness, Zayn'."

"That's not what I sound like," she pouted.

"Honestly, you were so different at the club that night than when I met you sober."

"That's because I became pregnant and decided to change my life around."

"Cute," they walked to the kitchen and Chi leaned against the counter, trying to catch her breath. "Thirsty?"

"Yes, please."

Zayn handed her a bottle of water. "Where's Mecca?"

"In our room. She's playing with her toys. And I have to pee," she muttered sheepishly before waddling towards the bathroom.

Zayn shook his head, jogging upstairs and looking in his room for Mecca. "Hey, babe."

"Hi," she smiled at him, "how you doin'?"

"I'm doing well," he chuckled at her and sat on the bed, "whatcha doing?"

"Playing doctor," she answered, putting the stethoscope to his chest, "ba dum ba boom ba pow! You're alive!"

Zayn laughed, lying back on the bed and watching her pretend to check a teddy bear's vitals. "That's nice to know. I didn't think so at first."

"You're silly!"

"Look who's talking."

Mecca just giggled.

"Zayn!"

"What?!" he yelled back.

"My water broke!"

He frowned, sitting up and looking at the open door as if she was there. "What?!"

"Goodness, Zayn! Come down here."

"Her water is broken?" Mecca asked confusedly.

"Yes, babe," Zayn picked her up in his arms, "it means the baby's coming. And we've gotta go."

"To fix the water?"

"Uh, yeah," he giggled and kissed her cheek and she giggled. Zayn clambered down the stairs with Mecca and saw Chi grab her purse and the bag they prepared, "is that it?"

"Yeah," Chi leaned against the doorway and groaned at the pain in her stomach. Zayn set Mecca down and grabbed the bag from her. "Oh my God, this hurts."

"Alright, Chi. Let's just get to the truck, okay?" he opened the front door and Mecca stepped out first, carrying Chiara's purse on her shoulder. They took quick but careful steps to his vehicle. He opened the door, helping her up in the truck.. He got in the other side and cut the car on. "I'll be back. I'm gonna get the bag and lock up."

"Okay," she took deep breaths and held her stomach, "hurry, please."

Zayn ran back in the house, closing doors and putting tops on things left out. He cut the TVs off and checked for anything out of place. Lastly, he picked up the overnight bag and locked the front door behind him.

"Mecca, why are you not in the truck?"

"I can't reach!" she cried, stomping her foot.

"I got you," Zayn set her in the booster seat. She strapped herself in and Zayn put the bag on the floor behind his seat, "good?"

"Yes," she swung her legs happily. Zayn got in the driver's seat and looked at Chi.

"Another contraction?"

"No," she groaned, "it just hurts."

"Hold my hand, Chi," he drove onto the street and felt her hand in his, her grip tightening at the pain in her stomach, "we're only twenty minutes away, alright?"

"Okay," she leaned her head back and closed her eyes, "Mecca can you please use my phone and call my mom?"

"Okay," he heard the little girl scramble in Chi's purse before getting the phone, "hi, gramma! Chi's water is broken so we're gonna go fix it."

Zayn snorted, a wide grin on his face as Mecca continued to talk to Kara over the phone.

"The hospital. Yes, ma'am. Bye bye now."

•zayn•

oh my god oh my god oh my god

she's five weeks early btw, so yeah