the pain

zayn•

His phone would not stop going off.

And no matter how many times he tried, he couldn't get up to cut it off.

But he was over it already.

Zayn got up with a start, his vision blurry and a couple slobbery drops of drool falling from his mouth and onto the pillow. He grunted and reached half blindly for his phone, only for the call to end.

"Fuck," he groaned, squinting his eyes at the brightness of the screen. He saw it was a call from Chiara and tapped the button to call her back.

"Were you sleeping?" she asked guiltily. Zayn looked at the clock in his bedside.

3:09am

"No, no, I wasn't," he croaked, "what do you need?"

"Never mind, I won't--"

"Chi, please."

"Oh, um, I want some chocolate."

"Is that all?"

"Yes, and a head of lettuce."

"A what?"

"Wait, never mind, I have some," she laughed and if this was any other person Zayn would have told them to fuck off. But this was Chi. Mother Chi.

"Okay. I'm coming."

"Thank you," she whispered.

"Mhm," Zayn hung up and lied back down in the bed, looking up at his dark ceiling. He huffed and got back up, pulling on clothes and shoes and grabbing his car keys.

•zayn•

He used the key she gave him and unlocked her door, a small bag of overpriced chocolate and lettuce he had in his own home accompanied him.

Chi was on the couch, face down and holding her stomach. Zayn set the items down and rushed over to her, his hand rubbing her back while his other turned her body to face him.

"Chi?" he whispered. She groaned, opening her eyes briefly before closing them again. He breathed a sigh of relief and told her to sit up. "What's wrong?"

"My head hurts," she sniffled, "and...and I'm so hungry. What took you so long?"

Well.

"I'm sorry, here," he handed her the bag and she smiled, her mood totally shifting.

"Oh my goodness, thank you. And extra lettuce," she got up slowly and walked into the kitchen. Zayn grunted and crawled on the couch.

He was between sleeping and not sleeping when he heard Chi curse to herself. One eye opened and he decided to get up and investigate.

"Ba--" he paused, "what the hell happened?"

"I don't know," she cried, holding her hand close to her chest. She must've cut her finger or something because blood was on the counter and the lettuce still had a knife in it. "I was...I was just cutting the lettuce and my f-finger was in the--" she huffed, tears falling down her face, "sorry."

"Come here," Zayn walked over to her, taking her injured hand in his, "s'not so bad, yeah? Let's run it under the water."

"It's gonna hurt."

"Chi, come on, please? It could get infected."

"Fine," Zayn held her hand under the cold water and watched the blood run off, "you just slipped, is all."