the kids

•zayn•

"Hey, look at you!" Chi's voice was heard on Zayn's phone but the video showed RyDae rolling around on the floor. The six month old could most definitely crawl now but rolling was his thing, and his parents weren't gonna stop the kid.

"He's precious," Zayn said during their FaceTime call. He was on lunch break and Chi had the day off, tending to her baby's needs. "He's like our own personal self cleaning mop."

"Babe," he heard her giggle and RyDae stopped rolling to babble at his mother, "he's not the cleaning lady."

"Aw shoot," Zayn grinned, "has he sat up anymore than yesterday?"

"No, he's just resorted to rolling," she hummed, "lazy kid."

"Mhm. You got my Christmas present yet?"

"Zayn, I'm not telling you what it is," the camera was blurred and shaky as Chi picked Ry up. The front camera was now on and they were cuddling on the bed. Ry was playing with her hair and Chi was smiling at Zayn.

"Why won't you tell me?"

"Super secret. Plus, I broke the rules and got you more than one present."

"I did, too, don't worry."

She rolled her eyes and looked up at RyDae. "Hey, man, what are you doing?"

He smiled and started babbling again.

"Zayn, your fam came by again today and honestly, your mom..."

"Yeah," he rolled his eyes, "you know how you haven't completely forgiven someone but you still let them in your life? That's my mom. She's too much and so condescending all in one. I hate it."

"She asked if I had cooked anything yet and of course you know I don't cook anything really until before you get home."

"'Course."

"And she goes, 'that's why my boy's skinny now you don't feed him.' And she's laughing at her own jokey joke like it was funny, but she said it as if I wasn't a good girlfriend to you."

"That's just her, baby."

"And after I cleaned most of the house she first walks in and says 'there sure is a lot of dust in the air.'"

"She said that?" because Zayn and Chi tried their hardest to keep the place clean, what, with two dogs, a four year old and a baby they were doing pretty well without complaints. "Who does she think -- babe, I'm gonna call her."

"Zayn, please. I just wanted to vent to you just leave it alone."

"Do you realize how--"

"Zayn," she gave him and pointed look even as their baby boy was trying to stick his fingers in her ear, "please."

"It's rude, Chiara."

"I know it is -- hey, man, no more breastmilk for you remember?" RyDay slapping her chest as she tried to talk to Zayn. He just smiled a toothless little grin, his face falling on her chest and the phone knocking out of her hand. Zayn heard giggles and lots of squealing from both of them and he just smiled, seriously glad RyDae was in good health and so was his girl.

The phone was picked back up and Chiara looked winded, hair splayed around the pillow and now RyDae was combing through it the best way he could. "I'm back."

"You guys are seriously cute," Zayn said with a large smiled in his face.

"I mean, he's half of you so it's the only way it is was adorable."