the way

zayn•

Lately, Zayn had been thinking.

And not thinking in the terms of a polynomial function or "what does the green light in The Great Gatsby signify?" type stuff.

He'd been thinking about Her.

Chiara, and everything that made her so.

What was he thinking? He couldn't just develop feelings for the mother of his child, could he? What would it seem like to her? Fake, maybe, because just because they lived together and had sex did not mean anything.

Did it?

It was hormones, Zayn told himself everyday. Hormones made her like this and...the feelings will go away as time goes on and she mellowed out.

But he couldn't stop thinking about her. She was amazing in every way, and she was so...caring and optimistic on everything. She was like a counselor, a perfect mom when they baby came, also. It was hard not to like her, it really was.

"Zayn?"

He looked up from his fingers and glanced at Chiara, who was studying his every move. "Yeah?"

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine," he looked at her eyes, her perfect, brown eyes, "I'm okay."

"Okay," she put a hand on his knee, and the butterflies started all over again, "just...tell me. And if you feel like something might go wrong, don't fret. It's fine."

"Okay," he bit his lip to hide the smile, "thank you, Chi."

"No problem," she flipped her hair off her shoulder, "I counsel on the weekdays."

"Glad to know," he chuckled, grabbing her hand and squeezing her fingers, "today, we get to hear the baby's heartbeat, ya know?"

"I know, it's exciting. I want to hear it, everything, what she's thinking, everything."

"He's a boy," Zayn stated, "so just say he."

"No, because she's a girl, thank you. Mother knows best."

"Father knows the rest."

"Ooh, bars, but she's a little offended that you called her a boy."

"He'll get over it," he reached up and kissed her gently, his hand resting on her bulging tummy.

What was he doing? Kissing her?? Yes, Zayn, just add onto the feelings you already have.

Zayn pulled away, but not before kissing her lightly again. He was glad they were the only two in the waiting room for the moment.

And Chiara seemed surprised at Zayn's actions, biting her lip at him and smiling. "You're adorable, Zayn."

"How?"

"Because, you get this look in your eye after you kiss me like you shouldn't have did it."

He frowned. "I shouldn't have, should I?"

"No, you definitely should," she blushed, "I won't mind whenever you do."

"Really? Because I always want to. Like, when you talk or when...you talk."

"Mhm," she giggled hugging his side, "go on."

"Can't."

"And why not?"

"Ms. Bennett?" Dr. Stork looked at the couple with a beautiful bright smile.

"That's why," he grinned, helping Chiara up before following after the two women with his hands in his pockets.