the client

zayn•

"Hey, babe?"

"Yes?"

"I got our pictures," he waved a thick envelope around and walked into the kitchen where she was.

Chi's eyes lit up. "Really? Lemme see," Zayn handed her the envelope and she opened it, gasping at the pictures inside.

"I've grown so much, goodness," she put a hand to her heart and smiled. "So pretty."

Zayn took the latest picture out of the bunch. A twenty three week old Chiara against a blank wall of the nursery, her hands holding her large stomach.

He smiled, so happy he took the picture and decided to keep record of her nine month journey. It all started on week ten -- when she was actually showing -- all the way until now. He just took a picture of her this morning.

"These are beautiful," he declared, looking over Chiara's shoulder and at the other pictures, "so pretty, babe."

"Are we putting this in the nursery?" she asked him, smiling when he slid his arm around her lower back. "I think it would be cute."

"Yeah?" he asked. "Like, a little portion of a wall, maybe."

"Mhm," she hummed, scanning through the photographs one more time before putting them back, "I really like these. Ugh, I'm so excited!"

"Cute," he laughed, taking her hands in his, "so, what did you do today?"

"Um...I went to the baby store again after work."

"Chi..."

"I'm sorry, I just...oh my God, I was looking at baby stuff and little pink bows and socks with doilies. And I saw little dolls and stuff."

"But he's a boy."

"And even if so, I'm buying him a doll."

"That's great, but he's a boy, just so you know. You want a girl, and I want a boy. So he's a boy."

"But she's not."

"Boyyyyyyyeeeeeee," he sang, kissing her forehead, "you like my singing?"

"Keep trying," she joked, knowing how great of a singer he was, "sing to me....hmm. Sing to me..."

"Or, I could not," he poked her nose and walked into the living room.

"Zayn, come on," she whined, following him and watching him turn the TV on, "sing me something."

"The wheels on the bus--"

"No!"

"It's kid friendly, Chi!"

"Zayn," she stomped her foot like a child, "please?"

Zayn sat down and crossed his legs. "Fine."

"Okay!" she smiled and sat down beside him, "wait, I gotta get comfortable."

He watched as she cuddled up next to him and wrapped her arms around his waist. She smiled up at him, her eyes fluttering.

Zayn rolled his eyes. "What do I sing?"

"Um...."

"Actually, bump this," he sat up, "what do you want out of the baby store?"

"Baby stuff."

Zayn narrowed his eyes. "Wow."

"But I just wanna know if it isn't the gender you want what would you do?"

He shrugged. "Doesn't matter. Still a baby, a cute baby. And I'll love it no matter what."

"If it's a boy I'm burning him at the stake."

"Chi..."

"Kidding," she kissed his chin, "kidding, I promise."

"You're a scary pregnant woman."

•zayn•

Zayn was in the middle of tattooing a client when his phone rang.

"I'm sorry," he smiled sheepishly, putting the needle down and picking the phone up, "yeah, Chi?"

"Can you do me a flavor?"

"A flavor?"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. When you come home can you pick up some more lettuce and chocolate. Dark chocolate and white chocolate. And iceberg lettuce. Hershey's."

"Yeah," he rolled his eyes, "are you okay?"

"Yes, sir. The kids at daycare have to be more careful I guess."

"How's the baby?" he bit his lip.

"She's fine."

"He. I'll talk to you later, baby."

"Bye, now."

"Cool," Zayn hung up and continued to work on the muscular man named Roderick, "sorry about that, man."

"You got a kid on the way?" his deep voice asked.

"Yeah," Zayn began shading in the shadows of the angel's wings, "halfway there, yeah?"

"Are you excited?"

"I am, I am. Just scared. But I can only imagine what she's feeling."

"Yeah. I hear what you're saying. I got a kid, too. She's four now. I was so scared I was gonna be a terrible father."

That wasn't at all what Zayn was thinking. But now he was.

"Anyway, she was born healthy and all and then I of course went off to the Navy. I only spent a few months with her."

"How did that feel?" Zayn bit his lip and tried not to mess this man's tattoo up. His story was interesting.

"Barely knew my child. Came back five months later sad and shit because maybe my kid won't even know who I am. But...I came back and...she hugged me and squealed and kissed me all over. I'm telling you, your deepest fears turn into a beautiful reality that's not what you expected. Your kid will know you, and he or she will appreciate you even if you fuck up."

Zayn sighed, ceasing his movements and putting the needle away. "But...if I don't feed them right or if...if...I can't hold them because they're too precious and fragile."

"Mom's right there," Roderick confirmed with a smile, "to support. They have an instinct for the shit so it's not hard. Trial and error."

"Thank you, man," Zayn said gratefully, "I'm still scared shirtless but thank you."

"It's nothing. Got another on the way."

"Really--" his phone rang again, "yes, Chi?"

"What is taking you so long?"

"Babe, I'm still working I don't get off until another ten minutes--"

"Really?"

"Yes--"

She sighed dramatically. "Do I have to do everything?"

Zayn rolled his eyes. "Please, just sit tight, Chia--"

"Zayn. I'm so upset right now, you won't believe."

"I do believe," he sighed yet again, "Chi, I'm doing all I can right now just give me twenty minutes, alright?"

"Fine," she snapped, "I'll be here."

"Thank you," he ended the call and slammed his phone on the desk, "I hate hormones so much."

Roderick laughed, his chest moving along with him. "Be patient."

"Believe you me, I'm the most patient person you'll ever meet and she, she is fucking crazy today."

"It'll be all good."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah."

•zayn•

sorry this was trash, bye