Lair of Beasts

Author - https://www.wattpad.com/user/Aviatrix427

Rating - Very good

Synopsis -

I s-shall g-go fetch Anne!" I stammered, panicked.

"What the devil for?" He growled, those tawny eyes confronting mine as intractable fingers dug painfully into my flesh.

"You are hurt-" I backed away an inch but no further; my upper arms still seized in his grasp.

"Stay where you are! I have no need of my mother's ministrations just now." His eyes shifted to his hands.

He then released me suddenly, as if only now becoming aware that he was bruising my shoulders. Had I not been standing there shivering from cold, I might have thought my very skin capable of scalding his fingers; so swiftly had he yanked his hand back. He certainly did not move as though he were injured.

"But you're still bleeding, Lucian-"

"Tis not my blood," he drawled impatiently.

I gasped, appalled, but he merely smirked horribly, like some eerie, midnight butcher.

Once upon a time... Is that not how most banal fairytales begin? But I digress, do let us begin again: for this is no ordinary, medieval, folk tale.

Once, long ago, there was indeed a snow white girl in a red mantle and a beast in a dark forest, however, that is where the similarities cease. This is a gothic tale of love and horror; where the 'Happily Ever After' that you dreamed of as a child, is not quite as simple as you once believed...

Review - Ok before we begin I'll say this - not everyone is going to like this. Not because it's not a good story, because it very much is, but simply because of the period in which it's set may put off some who aren't the biggest fans of historical romance. Of course on saying that - I'm not the biggest fan of historical romance either and I couldn't put it down....

Do me a favour if you read this - read past the first chapter! It is slightly stilted to read and that is only because of the words used - slightly older language that although ties in rather nicely to an older era set story does not help the flow in that first chapter - trust me when I say to continue reading though - the flow of words gets a heck of a lot better as the story progresses and the plot had me reading today when I should have been working - I have literally skived off work all day because of this book!

You also have to put aside your independent woman pants, please remember it is set in a rather different period when we women were not as mouthy as we are today :) you do get a rather nice glimpse of Aria's temper though, being inside her head as the narrator.

Why is this one added? Well its pretty simple, the author not only has a seriously great command of the English language, she's also done a ridiculous amount of research to be able to include facts that are either correct to the period or as close as possible and throughout the whole story, she managed to keep my attention riveted even though historical is one of my least favourite to read....well that's sure as all hell an accomplishment.

Most excellent work, Blue ;) you truly earned a spot here and I'm happy to give it to you....even though you called me a pommie *scary British angry face* (not really, we only do rather peeved faces :P)