f i v e

joey

We arrived at the shaved ice shop. I felt butterflies in my stomach, due to my anxiety.

It feels so different, for someone to be nice to me. I didn't want to talk, but I figured I had to.

D: What flavor do you want?
J: Blue raspberry and coconut please.

Daniel walked up to the window, and talked to the vendor.

D: May we have 2 small raspberry and coconut shaved ice, please?
V: Sure! Do you want it mixed or separate?

Daniel looked at me, and I mouthed 'separate' to him.

D: Separate, please.

The vendor shook her head and walked to the shaved ice boxes.

I felt awkward sitting there. It felt as though Daniel didn't want to talk to me.

I dragged my feet over to the bench, making Daniel have a confused look on his face.

D: Are you okay?

I didn't answer.

The vendor handed Daniel the shaved ices, which I was really excited about.

Daniel sat next to me, and handed me my ice. I scooped some of the raspberry ice with my spoon, when it fell off my spoon all over my new jumper, Connor had gotten me for my birthday.

J: Aw shoot.
D: Here, I will get some napkins.

I stared at the mess I had made. I shook my head in embarrassment.

Daniel handed me the napkins and put one on my head. I laughed, maybe he does like me.

D: Someone is a messy boy, aye?

He wrapped his arm around me and played with the collar of my jumper.

J: You're cute.

Daniel smirked.

D: I know.
J: Brag much?
D: Always.

After eating the shaved ice and flirting for about half and hour, we went to Daniel's apartment, which wasn't that bad considering it is 2 minutes away from my place. Literally.

D: Do you want to watch a movie?
J: Sure, as long as it's not scary.
D: Okay, no problem.

Daniel attempted to find a movie that we would both like, and that wasn't scary.

Preston wouldn't do that. He probably wouldn't even sit down and watch a movie with me. And if he did he would probably pick the scariest movie out of the bunch.

Daniel glanced at me, and read the list of movies he had available.

D: Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Spider-Man, The Fault In Our Stars, orrrrr FROZEN.

J: Frozen definitely!!
D: Okay haha.

Daniel laughed and put the disc in. He sat down on the couch and we covered up with a little blue blanket.

He started to play with my hair, and whispered let it go into my ear.

D: Let it go! Let it go! Can't hold it back anymore! Let it go! Let it gooooo! Snaosixisjnwbwmrofosoakwkken!!!!

I laughed when he didn't know the words.

We hardly paid attention to the movie. Daniel and I were asking each other questions.

D: I'm sorry to ask this, but who exactly is Preston?

Tears started to well up in my eyes.

J: Well, he is my ex boyfriend.

It made me sick thinking about how I dated a guy like Preston.

D: Oh.
J: What?
D: Nothing, it's just I didn't think a sweet guy like you, would date someone so-
J: So abusive. So ignorant. I know, me neither.
D: Then why did you?
J: I don't know what love feels like, that's all. I thought I loved Preston, and I thought he loved me, but..

Water spilled from my eyes, dripping onto the blanket.

Daniel wiped my tears with his thumb, and stroked my cheek.

D: Don't cry. Tell me.
J: But it turns out I was wrong, as usual.
D: How could he hurt someone like you. You're perfect.
J: No I'm not. Look at me.

Daniel grabbed my jaw, and gripped it tightly, and made me face him. It didn't hurt, he was quite gentle about it.

D: Listen to me, Joey. I've only known you for a day, and you're are probably the sweetest, cutest, and attractive boys I have EVER met. And I have met a lot of boys.

I gave Daniel a big hug.

J: Thank you, Daniel.

Daniel whispered in my ear, something so pleasing, yet so uncertain.

D: I love you, already.