t w e n t y t h r e e

daniel

I turned around leaving Joey in the waiting room, to go back to the front desk. I turned the corner, and witnessed all the illnesses filling the building.

I looked at Hope, soon remembering all of the college memories. My heart ached just thinking about everything.

D: Hi uh- Hope?

I approached her desk, her giving me a confused look.

H: Do I know you?
D: Y-yes, it's Daniel.
H: Daniel.

She rested her head on her hand and continued to look at me, thinking. Her facial features then changed and she stood up and gave me a hug.

H: Daniel!!

I smiled at her in relief that she remembered me.

H: Long time, no see!
D: I missed you.
H: So did I, ever since you left me.
D: I- I-

She giggled to herself and sat back down at her desk, typing the next patients information in a document.

H : Relax Dan. I know why you left, and I respect that. Love comes first.
D: Yeah about that-
H: You two are still a thing right?

Tears wanted to come out, but I fought them to not.

D: N-no.

Hope's smile disappeared. She sighed and continued typing.

D: He- uh. He cheated on me.
H: Oh Daniel, I'm so sorry.
D: I've put it behind me. Besides, I've found someone else.

Her grin reappeared, and she bit her lips anxious for me to tell her about Joey.

D: His name is Joey.
H: Aww, I'm so happy for you!
D: Yeah, he's the best.

Hope shut down her computer and put in in her bag, and pulled it over her shoulder. Out of the pocket was a camera, and she took it out.

H: Well, my shift is over.
D: Oh, I see you're still doing photography!
H: Yes of course.

I watched her as she exited the hospital, her extensions blowing in the wind.

I ran into Joey again, his grin wide.

D: Hey baby, I'm sorry I took a while.
J: Danny its fine.

I grabbed his hand and we got into the elevator. Joey pressed the [up^] arrow and we made our way inside. Then I pressed the [level 3] button and waited for our stop.

J: We're you crying?
D: N-no.

I bluffed. I couldn't stop thinking about Cameron.

At least he was gone, right?