12.

Thanksgiving Day
November 28, 2019

Sahara

"Come on Saharaaaaa," Sydney tried to pull me up from my couch in my living room

He's been here for the past 20 minutes trying to convince me to go to the family dinner, but I wasn't budging. I already knew how it was going to go. I'd spend the entire evening ignoring my mother, we'd end up talking somehow, she'd say some judgmental things, and it would blow up into a huge argument that wouldn't go anywhere. This year I was saving myself from the drama. If she wasn't going to say sorry for what she said to me then I had nothing to say to that woman.

Growing up nothing I did was ever good enough for her. I spent my whole entire life trying to please her, but it was never enough. Then when my dad got killed she blamed me for his death and I don't think I can ever get past that without her apologizing and admitting that she was wrong. How would you feel if you lost a parent and then have someone turn around and blame you? Your own mother at that.

"Sydney I already know how this is going to go. I already told you unless she comes with an apology then I'm not speaking to her," I continued to flip through the channels on my television.

"Come on baby help me here," Sydney looked over at Tiana who kept quiet on the other side of the couch.

"I'm not putting my mouth in this. I'm Switzerland," she said.

She knew how bad my relationship was with my mom and she understood why I didn't talk to her. When she went around family events with Sydney she always kept her distance from her. I didn't ask her to do that because I didn't want her to pick sides, but it was her way of showing loyalty I guess and I wasn't mad.

"Sahara I know what she said was wrong but come on she's our mama," Sydney tried to plead with me.

"Correction she's your mother," I told him and he smacked his lips.

"Mane whatever. I give up. You're gonna regret it one day," he shook his head before leaving with Tiana. Like I told him, I wasn't going to be around her until she apologized.

I sighed before getting up and making myself a plate. I was planning on stuffing my face and watching re-runs of Living Single on TVOne. It's what I've been doing for the past three years and it made me sad at times, but it was better than being in a room filled with tension and screaming at the top of my lungs by the end of the night.

There was a knock on my door 15 minutes into me eating. I let out a huge groan before going to answer the door. I looked through the peephole and saw King standing there so I opened the door.

"Hey I thought you had dinner with your family?" I asked him before moving to the side to let him in.

"Only my mama and a couple of my aunties are there cooking, but I just wanted to check up on you," he told me and I smiled.