Chapter 6 - A dinner to remember

Chapter 6
A dinner to remember

oOo

Most cynics are really crushed romantics; they've been hurt, they're sensitive, and they're cynicism is a shell that's protecting this tiny, dear part in them that's still alive. - Jeff Bridges

oOo

Zak glared at Justin who still had his hand on Ana arm.

-"There is no problem. My fiancée and I are just talking, isn't that right Ana?" Justin replied with a wide, fake smile.

Ana wrenched her arm from his grasp and rubbed the spot on her arm that he had held.

-"Something like that."

Justin's cold eyes stared at Zak.

-"You are that guy that was looking for Ana yesterday. Who are you?"

-"Zak." He put his hand out and shook Justin's in a firm shake.

-"Justin Malory." He was silent for a moment. "You're on TV aren't you?"

-"Yeah ..." Zak shrugged casually.

-"You have some sort of fake ghost show ..." Justin baited snidely.

-"Ghost Adventures ... and it’s all real."

Justin laughed loudly.

-"Yeah, whatever dude. I am in TV too, I'm a field journalist. I do real news."

-"Sweet." Zak nodded; he really did not care what the hell this guy did or what he thought of him. Zak looked at Ana. "Can I talk to you for a sec?" Not giving her a chance to answer, he grabbed her hand and tugged her towards the backyard.

Once outside on the terrace Zak took a couple deep breaths, he was lucky he had kept his temper in check. Lately he had been on edge, probably some residue from his last investigation. It wasn't uncommon for this to happen to him, and he usually just waited till it passed but it was a bit hard to do that right now. Ana was really playing with his emotions. She had looked so lost and scared when she had been cornered by that jerk. It was like she was begging to be rescued; the problem was he just wasn't the type to rescue people.

He dared to give her a glance. She stood looking out at the acres of land that lay out in front of them biting her lower lip anxiously.

-"Thanks ..." She said quietly.

Zak gave a sharp nod.

-"If you hate the idea of marrying him so much why don't you just end it?"

-"I've tried ... “She sighed. "Justin doesn't take no for an answer and neither does my mother ..."

He certainly could see that. He had only just met Diane and she was not someone he wanted to mess with, he got that much from the cold stare she had given him. Zak wanted to put his arm around Ana and tell her it would be alright. That something good would come of this in the end and things were always the darkest before they got brighter. But he wasn't sure he believed that either. So he just stayed quiet.

***********************************************************

I was so grateful that Zak had come to interrupted Justin and rescued me, but I am not sure how much good it did. I knew I'd have to face him again eventually and Zak wouldn't be there to help me.

As I stood in my mother's yard I had never felt so alone in my life. Maybe I just wasn't meant to have that happy ending. Maybe I was going to have to settle for what seemed best.