Chapter 28 - A New Beginning

A New Beginning

Zak let out a groan as he rolled over to his side. The sunlight came in through the window and was reflecting right into his eyes. With a harsh curse he grabbed the blankets and pulled them over his head. Once emerged in darkness he sighed with relief. He felt exhausted and just needed ten more minutes of sleep. He curled up and wrapped his down comforter tightly around him.

But as his brain slowly woke up, the better he was able to focus. He was home ... in bed.

-"Fuck!" Zak shouted and threw all the blankets to the ground.

He was up in a matter of seconds. What the hell was he at home? He had been in Romania - the XXX forest ... And he had been shot. Zak looked down at his chest and with speed he lifted his t-shirt up. There was nothing there. His shirt was covered in blood, but there was no damage to his skin. No evidence that he had been shot in any way.

How the hell...?

He let his shirt drop over his stomach. Was he dead? A ghost that would be stuck to haunt his house for the rest of times? Zak cautiously approached his dresser, which was just like he had left it; one drawer was open with a couple of shirts hanging out of it. As he got closer he extended his arm out. His hand shook when he reached out to touch the dark maple wood. His fingers connected with the cool surface and he let out a sigh of relief. Good, not dead.

But his comfort was short-lived because the rest of the events came rushing back to him. Ana being strapped to a table, him and Keane rushing to her aid only to find her on a table full of explosive and he was shot ... after that he remembers very little. Maybe everyone had taken him back home? That didn’t make much sense. Furrowing his brow he turned around and looked around his spacious room.

-"Ana?" He called out.

But there was no reply except for the low hum of the refrigerator downstairs. An awful sinking feeling was slowly setting into him. He rushed to the door and wrenched it open. His room was on the second floor of his Las Vegas house. The bedroom took up the whole second story, outside his room was a small landing and the staircase which lead to the first floor. When he opened his bedroom door, the sun came in brightly through the large two-story bay window. He squinted and looked over the railing to see if anyone was in the living room below, but the place was empty.

-"Ana?" He called again. "Nick, Aaron?" But his only reply was silence.

Zak hurried down the stairs, taking them two at a time and ran through his house like a madman calling for Ana as if she might be playing some twisted game of hide and seek, but after the first five minutes he already knew he would not find her, or anyone for that matter. What the hell was going on and where was Ana?

Reaching into his pocket he decided to try to call Ana, or anyone for that matter, but as he felt around in his pocket he remembered that he had left his phone in the little jeep in Romania. With a harsh curse he ran to his landline and stared at the cordless phone for a moment. He never used this thing and it only had a few number programmed into it. Coming to the first name in the cordless phonebook, which was Aaron's number, he pushed the talk button.

After the first ring Aaron picked up sounding just as confused as he felt.

-"Aaron?! Where are you?"

-"Zak? Holy shit is this really you? Where the fuck are you?!" Aaron screamed into the phone.

-"I'm at home ..."

-"How the fuck ...? Nick, its Zak and he says he's at home!" Aaron yelled and Zak heard Nick raise his voice.

"He's where?!" Nick yelled.