Chapter 22 - The Turning Point

The Turning Point

There is no right or wrong. Only what is and what isn't. - Author Unknown.

-"Ana wait!"

Zak's voice carried behind me as I raced out of the room as fast as my feet could carry me. I needed to get out of here and away from both Zak and Keane. But something in his voice told me he wasn't going to let me escape so easily. Okay, sure I was running away - again. But I just couldn't look at either one of them right now.

In the hotel hallway I rushed blindly towards the elevator. I glanced behind me to see if Zak was pursuing me but as I did so I came crashing hard to a dead stop.

With a small cry I had the wind knocked out of me.

-"Ana?" Nick caught me in his arms before I hit the ground.

I tightly clutched at his arms which had wrapped around my waist as looked behind me again and out of the corner of my eye I saw Nick's room door closing. I saw my chance to escape being found. I started to push at Nick's chest.

-"Hurry!" I cried and gave him a hard shove into the room.

Once inside I closed the door shut as quietly as I could. Breathing hard I pressed my ear to the door, listening.

-"What the hell is going on?" Nick asked annoyed behind me.

-"Shhhh!" I waved at him with my hand to be quiet as I looked through the small peep-hole and saw Zak jog by the door.

I waited a couple of minutes before I let out the breath I had been holding and turned to Nick. He wore a small smirk on his lips as he was reading something on his phone.

-"Hiding from Zak?" He asked cockily.

-"Maybe ..." I locked the door just for good measure and let my back sag against the door. "Why?"

-"Because he texted me." Nick held his phone up. "He said if I see you, I should let him know."

-"Please don't tell him I'm here!" I begged, quickly walking towards him.

I quickly considered if I could possibly take Nick down and steal his phone before he text Zak. But Nick looked just as well-built as Zak and I really doubted I stood a chance. The only reason I was able to push him into the room was because I had caught him by surprise, but I was sure he wouldn't let his guard down again like that. But to my relief, Nick sat on the bed and patted the spot next to him.

-"What happened now?" He asked.

I sighed and walked to the bed and took a seat. I didn't really want to confide in Zak's friend. Wasn't there some sort of law against complaining to the best friend of the guy you're involved with? If there wasn't, there should be, that was just asking for trouble. But there was something about Nick that made you want to tell him your secrets. That even if he couldn't fix it, he would still listen to you and then hug you and tell you, it would alright.

Nick playfully nudged me with his elbow in my side.

-"I won't tell him, if that's what you're worried about. I know how Zak can be, and well, I just want to be a friend to you."

I glanced at Nick's passive face and felt myself crumbling.

-"What hasn't happened." I grumbled my head still spinning at Keane's revelation. I was an exact copy of Keane's wife that had died five hundred years ago. "I am Keane's wife doppelgänger ... and Zak just took a perverse pleasure in exposing him."

Nick said nothing but he let out a low whistle. We were silent for a moment.

-"Wait ... Keane was married?" Nick furrowed his brow in confusion.